Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

Sounds like an ignition problem, unless you've also modified the fuel delivery system and intake manifold a lot. You may need more dwell than the ECU is programmed for. Also, try a different heat range on the spark plugs, or perhaps a higher voltage coil.

Do you know how the ECU has been remapped? That is, are others using it and not having the same problems you are? The map may simply be wrong.

Regards,

Adnan

Hi,

Sounds like an ignition problem, unless you've also modified the fuel delivery system and intake manifold a lot. You may need more dwell than the ECU is programmed for. Also, try a different heat range on the spark plugs, or perhaps a higher voltage coil.

Do you know how the ECU has been remapped? That is, are others using it and not having the same problems you are? The map may simply be wrong.

Regards,

Adnan

It almost appears that I'm hitting a rev limiter and the engine just kind of sputters, and futters at the 5500rpms. Does anyone know where the factory default limit is set at. My tac say's I'm turning around 5500+ but not sure that the ECU is sending the correct readings to my aftermarket VDO tac?

OhChit, new problem..

For all of you Subaru experts can any of you help to crack this problem.. I was having a high RPM miss, and engine break-ups.. Now the problem seems to have expanded further. I was driving the car, and it began to get towards dusk, I reached over and turned my headlights on, and the car sputter and coughed, as it did so I began step on the break to enable me to pull to the shoulder to restart the car. The cars dead. Normally the fuel relay chatters away as you engage power to the key, but it just about lets out a faint click. Seems like the batter was quickly drained, or a dead battery. But the battery is new, and the charging system working fine. I have had a simular problem everyonce in awhile, now that I think of it, it seems to happen when there is a power draw, and the computer re-adjusts for such.. I can not dump my engine codes, wish I could so plase don't sugest that..

Any idea’s or places to begin looking. Not enough juice to power anything, no lights, no starter, notta-aaaa?

Ok.....let's get a little background on your custom application, and what you have modified and how.

Without that....we're just guessing.

That aside, you can check the codes. The pins for the diagnostic connectors are still there on the ECU, and you can hook up a little 12v light to the output of the CEL circuit.

have you had the battery & alternator tested? Have you checked for a short? That almost sounds like what's goin on with your latest issue.

OK found the power problem, it ended up being a bad inline fuse from my main power feed. It was one of those stab type fuses, and beleive it or not one of the spades was making intermiting contact. It actually caused the fuse holder to meltdown from the lose connection. I'm not sure that this is what was causing my 5500RPM breakup, but I do beleive that it is related to the same problem. "Time and a few more Track passes will tell". Even though I have all circuits on their own breakers, apperently the engine ECU, relays etc don't like to share power sources or have little power blips from things like brake lights, fuel pump etc coming on and off. I have one main power source feeding my computer, and also accessories, etc. Gone to have to break it into two circuits right from the battery. Engine/ECU power, and another power feed for such things like lights, engine cooling fan, etc, etc....

Thanks for eveyone's help. I'll be right back if I still have that high RPM mis after I correct this problem.

Jon