Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru shop manuals online question

Guest theotherskip

has anybody downloaded the subaru service manuals from techinfo.subaru.com/html/index.jsp ?

i have only looked around the site a little bit, but do you have to download a million individual pdfs or are they only broken down into the main subsections (engine, tranny, body, etc)? about how large is the total download?

i'm asking because i am on a dialup where 100's of MB = days of download, but if it is somewhat easy to download (just a handful of files, not clicking on 1000's of links) i may have my brother do it for me with a cable modem & burn it and send it to me...

thanks for any info...

Guest Legacy777

They're individual files for different sections. It'd probably be worth it to get the couple day subscription. I'm not exactly sure how it's laid out though. Buf if your bro has cable, it'd probably be worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest theotherskip

well, i went and got an answer for myself. 4 & 1/2 hours later, i've downloaded 255mb in 831 files. this is basically everything to do with the 97 ob, and also the tech tips from 1996 - present. from what i have skimmed over, it is absolutely worth every last penny of the $20 fee. it is unbelieveably detailed and has specs and torques for everything.

a few notes if anyone is considering it:

1. lots of cutting and pasting. when you click the pdf icon to download the section, it will give it a name like w98724429.pdf or something, which is useless. i chose to create a directory structure like the way the web site is laid out. i cut and pasted each section name in for the file name, so it is easy to find.

2. the site only allows 2 downloads at once (as best as i can tell)

3. be sure to pick up the tech tips - they do not show up when you enter your specific vehicle. you have to bring them up using the side menu.

overall, very worth it. a wealth of info. i'm off to start reading...

Guest theotherskip

it looks as though it only goes back to the 1993MY impreza. before that, i think you are out of luck, though you may be able to pick up a hard copy on the used market.

so i've been doing lots of reading, and there are detailed instructions for just about everything, with excellent diagrams, wiring schematics (along with the locations for every harness and splice), even service procedures for the map lights!

outside of the service manual, i picked up all of the recall notices and tsb's. one of the other very interesting items are the technical reference books. these are intended for training the techs, and go into great detail the differences between the pahse 1 & 2 engines, the differences between the 2.2 and 2.5, etc. there are also manuals for the 4eat (i've got the mt), airbags, fuel injection, brake systems, and others.

overall, the haynes manual is a very good deal at $15-20. it has many of the same illustrations, and much of the same info. and it comes in a handy book form which you can keep in the back of the car if you get stranded. but if you indend ot do any major work the the car, you can't beat the shop manuals, a steal at only $20 more...

i also picked up a copy of the famous clutch judder tsb... it only applies to 1999 and later cars.

Guest james hogan

I just bought a 2002 Legacy and would really like to have a copy of the tsb for the clutch judder.

Can we arrange something?

Thanks,

Jay

The attached pdf you sent to my Email was corrupt and wouldn't download. Can I fix it ?

Thanks again,

Jay