Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I noticed that also. In 03, the Turbo's got the smaller (diameter) filter. The N/A 2.5's used the standard. Now in 04 and later, all get the smaller filter. It is made of a different filter material inside. I'm sorry, I don't have the spec's. I would think it has better spec's since the turbo model already used it.

Subaru has a notice to their dealers also, the older filter can be used on a N/A 2.5 if the newer one is not available and still keep the warrenty in tact. So that made me think that they only wanted to get to one filter for all applications. However, I don't know what the 3.0-H6 uses. It was the same dimensions,(02 and earlier) but internally has a larger filter surface area. These will also do in a pinch on the H4 N/A engines. I haven't seen any notices about the 04/05 H6 oil filter.

I do get a kick out of the silkscreen on the top of the filter (engine oil). I guess as not to confuse it with the tranny filter which is now about the same size too.

As far as OEM filter, Purolator site lists the specs, but not the surface area. Both have an Anti-drainback valve. Curious though, the older has a relief valve set to 20-25, the newer valve is lower at 14-18.

Also I noticed the small diameter was impossible to use my 30+ year old oil filter strap wrench on. It's just TOO darn small. I went and purchased a cap type wrench which fits a 3/8" rachet.

Also note, the PUREONE version of the newer filter (Purolator 14612) has recently been redesigned. Seems in Cold climates, the filter seal FAILS and oil spews all arould the filter base after a very cold night. Not what I would like to wake up to. Hope it's fixed as I have used purolators for over 25 yrs now.

it was changed because of the mass amount of turbo cars being produced. the old filter comes closer to the exhaust than the newer designed one. But really that shouldn't be that big a deal since the turbo legs have used the same part number for years same with all the other turbo cars overseas.

Same thing here too.

HOWEVER! The dealer used to get filters from Sube USA, now he says they come from Japan. Gone from large white, to small black. As mentioned, it's cunningly labelled "Engine" ;-)

I doubt there is any serious difference, apart from the bypass pressure which I can't comment on. I reckon the smaller can just has more folds in the filter paper, so the area doing the filtration is the same. Toyota did the same thing years ago.