Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Outback Wagon - lights, keyless entry, climate control

Everyone was so helpful in identifying my starting/idling problem (was the coolant temp sensor), that I might as well post some more questions:

1. Where is the the switch that turns on/off the light in the rear cargo area when the hatch is opened? Is it built into the latch? Mine is not working.

2. Keyless Entry: Do I need to install an actuator in the driver's door if I want to install keyless entry? I did this once on a 1993 Legacy, and it was a pain in the butt. I would hope that this newer model doesn't require the same.

3. My climate control is dsyfunctional. At times, the switch gets stuck on defrost/floor. Eventually, the function will perfom as switched. Does this sound like a swith problem or mechanical issue? Maybe some folks have had this same problem??

Thanks again! Love the Subbie's.

1. In my older model the switch was on the dome light. It had three positions. One of them kept the light from turning on.

2. Not sure about the actuators on your model but I would assume that you will have to do the same to it.

3. The vent door may be sticking and causing this to happen. It is controlled by vacuum lines I believe. If the vent door is ok then you should check the selector switch and make sure the vacuum line is working ok.

Another thing to look for on your third problem (sticking climate controls) -- do the pushbutton indicator lights work properly when you notice the cc are stuck? I had a problem with my '96 sticking, and I realized after a while that whenever they were stuck, the button lights were out. Turns out I had a problem with some connector corrosion in the wiring harness, and it had nothing to do with either the buttons themselves or with the damper door.

For the dome light - I was not too clear. There should be a way for the light to turn on/off when the hatch is opened, but I can't figure it out. I realize there is a three position switch on the light itself. Either way, I feel pretty stupid for not being able to solve this.

Wayne -

Thanks, I will check next time to see if the indicator lights are on. That's a great idea. I hope that's all it is.

rigfennid -

Thanks for the tip. I've heard other postings to the contrary. I think I'll go ahead and order an aftermarket kit. Crutchfield is a pretty knowledgeable source for this stuff, so I might just buy from them. A keyless entry with remote start would be ideal.

Did I mention this car has over 222,000 miles and is still running strong???

Thanks again for the replies.

Hawkeye4,

I believe that the 97 Outback model came with the keyless entry. Have you owned it from new? Talk to the dealer or maybe some expert here can confirm this. If so it would easiest to persue this route.

Remote starter? Aftermarket I guess.

Good Luck!

Mark-O

I have a 97 OB. No keyless entry. I think the Limited had it, but not the base model. In fact, they are not even prewired (as I recall), so adding "factory" keyless entry is expensive. For the same money, I added a Viper Remote Start / Alarm / Keyless entry. (I had a shop do the work. I'm glad I didn't tackle it myself after seeing the mess of wires under the dash.)

Commuter

most of those wires are just extra length - still, best to let a shop do it, just in case the airbag pops - all the 97 OB's have power locks and actuators in all 4 doors and hatch - want to prove it? do this:

use the lock/unlock button inside your door - which door doesn't matter - since there's nothing physically disengaging the lock, then that says you have actuators in all doors - IF you press the button, and a door won't lock/unlock, then that door has a dead actuator

you should be able to find the brain and some remotes on ebay if you want the OEM system - i went aftermarket to get some other features, but the basics are all the same - enjoy!!