Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I looked at a WRX with three "check engine" codes

I'm curious how expensive or complicated the fix(es) might be. The codes are P0340: CAM POSITION SENSOR, P0420 CATALYTIC CONVERTER BELOW EFFECIENCY THRESHOLD, and P0244 WASTEGATE CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE MALFUNCTION, (HIGH INPUT) whatever THAT means. I figure the cam position sensor and cat need to be replaced, but I have no idea what that last one might mean. I do KNOW that the car is quite docile until you kick it. Then it runs like a scalded dog. I was not able to drive it very far. It is a "repo" car. It has a couple of minor dings and scratches. The bank that owns it will NOT fix anything. It's an as-is deal for around $10K. It has WIDE 19" wheels and 245(I think)-35-19 tires. Rides a bit like a truck, but handles like nothing I ever drove before.

the wastgate control will go off when it senses boost creep or excesive boost. Its saying that theres something wrong with the amount of boost being run. So with that code, and the others, i would assume that the person that had the car had a decent sum of parts on it at one point, as in a boost control, catless exaust etc..

the car is not necesarily in bad shape, i'm assumeing that the car was reposesed, thats why your buying it from a bank. So my guess would be that the guy who owned the car, had a decent sum of money into it, realized it was going to be re-posesed and took all of the stuff off. You should look around for evidence that there have been parts in there, missing heat shields...modified muffler hangers etc. The car may have been driven hard, at high boost, my concern would be that it was driven at very high boost, enough to damage the engine, head gaskets, piston rings or things like that.

Yes it is definitely a repo, with missing pieces. There is about a 2" X 6" place atop the dash that appears to have had a set of gages removed from it. I suspect that one of those missing gages was for turbo boost. I don't see another one. I may have to pass on it anyway due to lack of funds. I bought a '99 VW New Beetle today.