Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96-99 OWB Fog Light Replacement

I need to replace my fog lamps on my 96 OBW.

They work fine but both have cracked lenses.

What are my options for replacements? I called the dealership, they want $130 each. :banghead:

Does anyone sell replacement lenses?

What about getting some Hella or other aftermarket lights? Anyone done this before?

Thanks

rweddy:

I like the Hella 500 fogs I put in my wife's TS. This writeup doesn't apply to your car, but the idea is the same:

http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/mods/fogs/

They are better than the fogs in my '97 OB, IMO. A lot cheaper than what the stealership is quoting you, around $70 per pair IIRC. They are definitely fogs, not driving lights. The pattern is low and wide, not helpful at higher speeds, but useful in bad conditions and dark winding streets or canyons where you want more light to the sides for cornering. The Hella's also come in a driving light variant, so make sure you're getting what you want.

You could pretty easily make these fit, with very little modification to your car. Your existing wiring should be fine if you stick with the stock Hella wattage bulbs.

Steve

rweddy:

I like the Hella 500 fogs I put in my wife's TS. This writeup doesn't apply to your car, but the idea is the same:

http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/mods/fogs/

They are better than the fogs in my '97 OB, IMO. A lot cheaper than what the stealership is quoting you, around $70 per pair IIRC. They are definitely fogs, not driving lights. The pattern is low and wide, not helpful at higher speeds, but useful in bad conditions and dark winding streets or canyons where you want more light to the sides for cornering. The Hella's also come in a driving light variant, so make sure you're getting what you want.

You could pretty easily make these fit, with very little modification to your car. Your existing wiring should be fine if you stick with the stock Hella wattage bulbs.

Steve

Nice write up!!

Thanks, I wish I could keep the factory lights and just get new glass.