Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Full size tire on a doughnut

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drquasievil

drquasievil

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Somewhere over the rainbow

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:47 AM

95 Legacy LS:

Can a full size RE 92 Bridgestone tire replace a doughnut tire? or do I need a matching rim to go along with it?

#2 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:14 PM

Just had a look at mine and the doughnut rim looks much skinnier than the standard rims.

#3 deiscient

deiscient

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Boston, MA USA

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:22 PM

My '93 Leg has a 135/70 R14 spare. YOu could mount the larger tire on that smaller rim (they are 185/70 R14 for mine, yours are probably different) but, as Gilles points out, that narrow rim means more flexion stress at the tread/sidewall junction which increases the likelihood of a blowout. Also, the bead will probably not sit too well since it is designed for a wider rim.

Do you want to use a full size spare on this vehicle? You may not be able to fit it in the wheel well and still have a flat cargo space floor as the space is designed for the compact. JM $0.02 here

#4 drquasievil

drquasievil

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Somewhere over the rainbow

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:57 PM

The issue is that we all know better than to drive a Subaru AWD with a doughnut. That leaves many of us searching for a matching 5th rim. I was wondering if I can use a full size spare tire I have on the doughnut rim. Is that an acceptable solution or we better of finding a matching rim?

My .02 cents. Subaru should either do the right thing and provide a full size spare or bite the bullet and charge the additional money for the full size tire.

Are you listening Subaru? Not everyone reads the book.

#5 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 12 October 2004 - 12:32 AM

Find a rim in junk yard. I'm not sure, but I think you'd have a hard time finding a tire shop that will mount a full size tire on a rim with that slim of a profile. There also may be inside clearance problems with a real tire on that rim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users