Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Those Friendly Subaru Designers...

Last Saturday was car maintenance day at my house. I changed the oil and filter on my 95 Legacy wagon while my wife did the same on her Volvo 740 wagon. Both cars are fairly new to our family, and I must say I'm impressed by both companies.

Anyway, I've always hated working on foreign cars. (My last japenese car was a 4WD Honda Civic wagon that was a neat little car, but I hated popping the hood on that thing and working on the engine--had to remove the master cylinder just to change the alternator!) I must say, however, that I have been very pleased with what work I have done on my Subie thus far. It's been YEARS since I changed the oil on any car and it was so easily done. I could actually change the spark plugs without having my fingers and knuckles bloodied and contorting my arms and body into unnatural positions. Belts and accessories look like a cinch to access/swap as well. Are the newer models of Subarus as easy to work on? I'm a happy camper so far...:D

If only I could get my gas mileage improved then I'd be ultimately impressed with the car. Hard to get happy about 24 highway mpg when I was driving a low geared V-8 with almost 200,000 miles before the Subie and pulled the same highway mileage.

Last Saturday was car maintenance day at my house. I changed the oil and filter on my 95 Legacy wagon while my wife did the same on her Volvo 740 wagon. Both cars are fairly new to our family, and I must say I'm impressed by both companies.

Anyway, I've always hated working on foreign cars. (My last japenese car was a 4WD Honda Civic wagon that was a neat little car, but I hated popping the hood on that thing and working on the engine--had to remove the master cylinder just to change the alternator!) I must say, however, that I have been very pleased with what work I have done on my Subie thus far. It's been YEARS since I changed the oil on any car and it was so easily done. I could actually change the spark plugs without having my fingers and knuckles bloodied and contorting my arms and body into unnatural positions. Belts and accessories look like a cinch to access/swap as well. Are the newer models of Subarus as easy to work on? I'm a happy camper so far...:D

If only I could get my gas mileage improved then I'd be ultimately impressed with the car. Hard to get happy about 24 highway mpg when I was driving a low geared V-8 with almost 200,000 miles before the Subie and pulled the same highway mileage.

Yes they are easy to work on for sure. :grin: And parts are cheap compaired to many imports.

Only 24 highway? My 96 gets 30-32 highway.

I think I'm going to like the 2.5 Liter in my 2004 Impreza Outback Sport. Simple design, the whole drivetrain too, if appearances count for anything.

Only changed oil and filter so far but it's much easier than was the '94 GMC Sonoma, and that was relatively simple to do. Spark plugs were difficult though, one being behind the steering column. Looks like it would be easy to change those in the OBS.

I thought maybe the air filter would be something made more difficult. Never had one of these flat rectangular kind before. One bolt and then those three clips... nothing to it after doing a trial run and checking it. Fuel filter is certainly a welcome thing, in the Sonoma it was done laying on my back.

If I figure right I'm currently seeing about 27 MPG from mixed driving but mostly freeway, highway and county roads. Very little city stop and go stuff. 3500 on the odometer, so it's still loosening up.

I suppose you've replaced or at least checked on your air filter, that would be bad for gas mileage if clogged up.

I suppose you've replaced or at least checked on your air filter, that would be bad for gas mileage if clogged up.

Yep--already changed the air filter. The car was sitting unused for a year before I started driving it--probably had a spell of six months without even being started. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Engine is smooth and strong. I've only been driving it a few weeks now. Has new plugs too. First fillup I averaged 22-23. Second fillup I got a solid 25 mpg. I'm almost done w/ the third fillup, but this tankfull I've been a bit heavy-footed, seeing how peppy the 2.2 can be, so it won't be a good indicator.

JT95, in connection with some other work on my Sube recently, I disconnected the battery, for about two hours. Which will reset the ECU and cause it to lose it's "memory". I let it idle until up to running to temperature. And my mileage has improved. Might be worth you trying this simple trick?

(Idle til warm, since the ECU ignores signals from the O2 sensors until it believes the cat is hot)

JT95, in connection with some other work on my Sube recently, I disconnected the battery, for about two hours. Which will reset the ECU and cause it to lose it's "memory". I let it idle until up to running to temperature. And my mileage has improved. Might be worth you trying this simple trick?

(Idle til warm, since the ECU ignores signals from the O2 sensors until it believes the cat is hot)

Thanks--I'll give that a try.