Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

LSD's? What vehicles?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 4RnrRick

4RnrRick

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:32 PM

What vehicle have LSD's?

Are front and rear diffs the same?

#2 stngllhm

stngllhm

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • Casper

Posted 11 October 2004 - 05:17 PM

i'm pretty sure it was an option on most but standard on none. don't know for sure but that was what i was told

#3 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,796 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 11 October 2004 - 05:18 PM

Do a search, its been covered multiple times.

#4 4RnrRick

4RnrRick

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 05:28 PM

Do a search, its been covered multiple times.

I've tried.... Problem is the search feature ignores LSD because its only 3 letters long! :banghead:

Can you please post a link?

#5 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:38 PM

RX's came standard with LSDs in the rear. Everything else was OPTIONAL. Mostly....85 and up you find LSDs on.

oh and I dont know if the front and rear internal diffs themselves are the same.

#6 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:03 PM

RX's came standard with LSDs in the rear. Everything else was OPTIONAL. Mostly....85 and up you find LSDs on.

oh and I dont know if the front and rear internal diffs themselves are the same.

RXs, yes
Some belive that the 89 GL-10 with the FT4WD 5 speed came standard with LSD. Theres no documentation to back that up. And I have seen one and known of another that this was not true for...

However, MOST FT4WD 5 speed cars I have seen from 87-90 (loyale, Gl, GL-10) have had an LSD.

Thats about it.

#7 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:11 PM

On a stock subaru the front diff is in the tranny. No subarus of this era came with lsd in the front. When you see the seperate diff on the big lifted cars, it was put there to be driven by the tcase, but isnt there otherwise.

Mudrat might be able to hook you up with a phantom grip lsd. He made a post awhile ago. You should get in contact with him.

#8 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,941 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:12 PM

Front and rear differentials are not interchangable.

Early Legacy Turbos have a 3.90 Viscous LSD that works in the older models.

SVX rear diffs are 3.545 gear ratio but I havent tried swapping pumpkins to make a 3.90 LSD yet. I will be trying this soon though.

#9 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:23 PM

[quote name='calebz']RXs, yes
Some belive that the 89 GL-10 with the FT4WD 5 speed came standard with LSD. Theres no documentation to back that up. And I have seen one and known of another that this was not true for...
QUOTE]

So you want proof, how about a scan from an 89 sales broucher of the option page. On the page, a dot means that item is standard. Here is a link to the page that I scanned, check it out for yourself Thomas. http://www.corkysroc...t/89options.jpg

#10 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 08:26 PM

thats alot of dots.

#11 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:47 PM

dont forget that just a few XT6 had a 3.9 lsd

#12 calebz

calebz

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:00 PM

RXs, yes

So you want proof, how about a scan from an 89 sales broucher of the option page. On the page, a dot means that item is standard. Here is a link to the page that I scanned, check it out for yourself Thomas. http://www.corkysroc...t/89options.jpg

Terribly interesting there Jesus. Someone should tell those with 89s with FT4WD 5 speeds to go back to SOA to get their money back.

#13 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 12 October 2004 - 06:53 AM

Terribly interesting there Jesus. Someone should tell those with 89s with FT4WD 5 speeds to go back to SOA to get their money back.

Well, unless it was a Turbo, it didn't get it, just having a FT4WD 5 speed wasn't good enough.

JESUS???? You must be getting me confused with my son. :lol:

#14 calebz

calebz

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:27 AM

Well, unless it was a Turbo, it didn't get it, just having a FT4WD 5 speed wasn't good enough.

JESUS???? You must be getting me confused with my son. :lol:

Yup, they were both turbos.. Never even seen a FT4WD 5 speed in a N/A car..They were FT4WD 5 speed with difflock, turbo, 89, one was a touring wagon. Neither had an LSD.. and I seriously doubt either of them has been tampered with.. I just chalk it up to Subaru being inconsistent.

No jesus? dammit.. I thought I had found you finally after the 'Thomas' comment ;)

#15 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 12 October 2004 - 01:03 PM

Never even seen a FT4WD 5 speed in a N/A car..
No jesus? dammit.. I thought I had found you finally after the 'Thomas' comment ;)

I have a FT4WD 5 speed tranny with a center lock that came from a N/A 89 sedan, it didn't have a LSD rear diff.

My son told me about that Thomas guys, and you seemed to have that same affliction. :lol: Hey, if your looking for him, I'll tell him to stop by.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users