Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MBC, what are ur thoughts

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 chimaira659

chimaira659

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:32 PM

I have a friend with a MR2 , the guys on his board all told him to thrrow on a MBC , the guys on the old WRX forum i was at all said not to do it, the risk of spiking is to great. but why is it any different from the MR2s and WRXs , i mean if all these guys have them on their cars and dont have any problems, wouldnt that be the same with me, if i do it correctly? and if you guys dont have any bad thoughts of the MBC and think i should go for it, what PSI do you recomend setting it at, my thoughts were either 16.5 or 17. again any comment would be greatly appreciated.

#2 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:49 PM

I think it does vary alot between turbo cars if MBCs work well. Some cars read boost diffrently and try to control it difrently, and some MBCs are alot better than others, which both can contribute to boost spikes. For tha amount of boost i cant say some engines cant handle 10 PSI stock and others can handle 30 PSi so i cant say becasue i know nothing about that motor, only that toyota genrally over builds turbo cars, maybe excpet in the shead gaskaket area. And maybe i heard that the 90 ish MR2s seconde, to the newest gen have basilcy a 2gzegte with 2 less cylinders, and those engines are way over built.

#3 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 12 October 2004 - 10:01 AM

It's an expensive car with an expensive engine to replace, so why buy a cheap boost controller which controls the one thing that will destroy your engine? I ran one on my RX and destroyed the motor within a week. Boost was spiking early and killed the bearings. You can get a good electronic controller for $100.

Keith

#4 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 12 October 2004 - 10:45 AM

my personal opinion
i use a saab apc boost controller fo rme its great if i want more boost i turn a small adjustment plus it listens if the motor start to detonate and drops down the boost ... nice

if i was not apc enabled i would use my megasquirt boost control option that i have

mbc's while nice and cheap... but not what i would consider for a expensive motor. or for that matter even my cheap ea82t motor :)

personall opinion ect ect :)

#5 chimaira659

chimaira659

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:28 PM

[quote name='oddcomp']my personal opinion
i use a saab apc boost controller fo rme its great if i want more boost i turn a small adjustment plus it listens if the motor start to detonate and drops down the boost ... nice

thanks,
how much boost are you at with your Saab controller, how much do they run for, my pockets are not deep. im only looking at 100$ to 150$ for a boost controller, and i will say i am not planning on hooking up my homemade MBC anymore. if the Saab controller is out of question, that electric controller for 100$ mentioned, what make is that?

#6 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:38 PM

stock saab setting is 10 psi it can be fiddled with :)
prolly for all teh junkyard parts off a donor car at least round here eh 50 ish

http://web.inter.nl....-europe/apc.htm
better than i could explain it

#7 chimaira659

chimaira659

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 12 October 2004 - 10:43 PM

to ODDCOMP
only at 10 PSI? i thought stock turbo for a WRX was already at 12 or 13, thats what ive always been told, even from people that werent on the last crappy board i was at. Is that wrong? if so what is the stock WRX PSI?

#8 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:13 AM

lol oops
for what ever reason i thought you where talking about a ea82t lol
if you follow the link i put up you will see that max psi is fully adjustable

#9 chimaira659

chimaira659

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:21 AM

lol oops
for what ever reason i thought you where talking about a ea82t lol
if you follow the link i put up you will see that max psi is fully adjustable

haha, yea nvm, i forgot we were not driving the same type of car so im sorry for that. but thatnks

#10 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:28 AM

BTW, I'll second the fact the factory Saab setup rules! I want to steal one of those from the junk yard one day myself. They have a knock sensor input and will pull boost if it senses knock, and no electronic aftermarket unit I've ever seen does that.

Keith

#11 chimaira659

chimaira659

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:58 AM

thats what ill look for then. i live north of Indianapolis like 100 miles, theres nothing out here except for corn and beans, meaning to find a junkyard that might have this, ill have to go to Indy, hopefully Lafayette IN, will have one.

#12 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:48 AM

eh like i siad.. i think 50 ish .. for a setup around here.. plus my slow shipping :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users