Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TD04 headcount

calebz

Heya russ... when i get your brothers RX i might need you to make me a pipe. :)

-Brian

you give me the parts and I will do it.

oh thats my cousin not brother. but close enough.

let mine be the guenna pig first. if it works well Ill be in business.

el cheapo up pipes:lol:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as for the parts list that you mentioned earlier Russ, I might be interested in a whole package if I can pick up this black RX I've been eyeing. I wanna put a TD04 on it to give it a little more oomph....:D

well its looking like it will not be cheap or straight forward the farther I get. I am trying to keep track of all that goes into it so I can at least advise others along with the bad dudes that have already done this. It seems we are all taking slightly different paths to boostdom. I am looking at a budget of close to 500$ and a quite a few hours labor too so far.

GARNER- your little riser plate is rather cool. I almost did the same thing. I was going to incorperate it with new section of up pipe. but I started thinking about the oil and coolant lines to and from the turbo. espically the one hard line for the oil supply. how did you manage to make that one fit? did you just bend it? or made it longer?

I will see what it looks like in place. the elbows I orderd should do the trick if all goes right.

Yes, same boost levels will still net better flow.. There will be some modifications required that would normally improve stock airflow anyway.. Exhaust mainly.. Not to mention doing the turbo upgrade involves some pipe rerouting, so theres no point in doing all that without an intercooler.. those two things alone will help a lot.. in combination with a better turbo, you will have a happy car.

GARNER- your little riser plate is rather cool. I almost did the same thing. I was going to incorperate it with new section of up pipe. but I started thinking about the oil and coolant lines to and from the turbo. espically the one hard line for the oil supply. how did you manage to make that one fit? did you just bend it? or made it longer?

Yep, the hard line(s) are just bent to get more length out of them. I remember them not taking a straight path from A-B, I just straightened up the routing and had more than enough length. The soft lines obviously can just be replaces with longer sections....

I did the riser pipe just as a quick way to get the turbo mounted in some usable fashion. I was not thinking about it as a long term sollution and as such it has some problems, namely, it is too large in id and the angle at which it places the turbo is a little extreme (approx 20 degrees from horizontal)

I'm working on a header design of my own out of about $75 of SS mandrel bends. This will get the turbo where it needs to be and keep it more horizontal and flow like an SOB. I'll show and tell soon...

garner

cool thanks garner. I really want to see how you up pipe comes out.

as for mine I worked on it all night. its no wear near being done. actually I think I have to take it apart again.:banghead:

I mounted the turbo up and made all the coolant and oil lines fit. but when I went to install the down pipe it would not fit.:confused: its hitting the body before the flange comes together flush. and the transmision and rear hanger mounts are not working either. it seemed so perfect when I did a test fit.

as for the intercooler. thats a whole seperate issue. stupid thing is huge. I dont see how others made it fit so easily. I am about to turn it side ways and try to find some piping that will work.

sorry just a bit frustrated 6 hrs and it seems like I have made little progress.

I can say that a good supply of mandrle bends and silicone couplers would really help about now. any sugestions would be considered. somthing tells me this is going to take a while longer than I hoped.

Russ,

Totally different body style I know but on the Brat, I had a similar problem with the DP, after gutting it, I cut a wedge out of the bottom of the tube right at the flange, bent the remaining metal and re-welded thus, tightening the angle of the top of the dp and getting the exit end of it to end up lower and clear tranny mounts etc....

Does that make sense?

On the IC, What are you running into there?

Some of the greatest prices I've ever seen on stainless mandrel bends are at http://www.jegs.com and http://www.stainlessworks.net

Keep at it man, it's worth while.

oh yeah I am well past the point of no return.

I thought about what you are saying with the down pipe cut and reweld. I am keeping the cats in the DP and did not really want to go chopping it up and ruining the built in heat shielding.

I was thinking along the lines of removing the up pipe and giving it a wedgie weld along the same lines that you describe.

as for the intercooler if I put it in the center, lined up with the TB it sits really high close to the hood and the y hose will not line up with the turbo outlet.

If I turn it lenghtways, the outlet from the turbo to the IC can be done with tubing of reasonable length and moderate bends as well as the outlet to the TB from the IC.

then it will sit lower and get air from the existing hood scoop(of set to the right)

the throttle cable is a bit of an issue here too. its right where the outlet is.

well I will hit it again tonight after I get home from work. guess it makes the allison tranny I am swaping out here seem like an easy job.

well I think I have over posted on this thread so far. I will keep quiet untill I get it all worked out.

woo hoo!

IT LIVES.

the plumbing is ugly. its not really done yet. but it ran 4 miles.:drunk:

I now have a good idea of how the final prouduct will need to be set up.

I had to really cruise slow out of the neighborhood with just the down pipe on. but it sounded good when I opened it up on the open road.

now to make some proper piping and up the boost a bit.:brow:

I know I said I would be quiet but hey this is only the third? TD04 to run on an EA82T.

no pics till its really done right.

and when the car shuts down if you listen real close, you can hear the turbo spool down like a big ol cat turbo. ah... I love that sound.

(stumbles off to bed )

OMG!! Russ drove around without his cats !!

You sir, are going to hell :lol:

Seriously, Good work. You didn't say so, but am I to assume its pulls better at stock boost than the VF7?

come on I still had one cat on. mabey pugatory for me.

I really did not push it hard. but no so far it does not feel any quicker than before. I will work on that part. it really was only a trial run.

pugatory, whats that, the land of puegeot?
:lol:

thats a good one.

well I have been driving it around with the cats and no real exhaust on it yet. just a turn down. too loud (see no muffler thread).

its runing rather well so far. no huge difference in power. kicks in a bit milder than before. I still need to get the bypass valve before I push it hard. it also needs the air directed onto the intercooler a bit better.

I have to say its lots of work but worth while compared to the cost of a new or rebuilt stock turbo.

i hope i get the job im after, then maybe i can get my rx registered and get the td04 and intercooler put in the car. i want to drive my rx soooo bad, i have owned the car for almost a year now and haven driven it more than a mile in one shot. hmmmm, anyone feel like helping out a fellow suby owner? all it takes is like a dollar from 200 people and my rx will be on the road. or i could drive someone's rx up the mountain to the overlook.

im a man now, im thinking of growing a beard, then another beard ontop of that one, and on that beard, a mustache.

• 2 months later...
Bump,

Just wanted to check in and see what people's experiences are.....

Russ?

Caleb? (you're up and running now aren't you?)

garner

yeah I have a couple thousand miles on mine now. I love it. no complaints about how it boosts. lag is just a little bit different. I still usually hit full boost by 3000rpm+/- a little. stock boost level that is right now. I am having dificulty getting my Saab APC boost control system to work properly and the junk jard does not any new Saabs in yet. I dont really like the way the WRX intercooler mounts up and dont feel its as efficient as my old VW 1.8 unit(for sale if any one wants it) but for now it does the job.

my over boost condition that I used to experience with the stock turbo and all the flow related upgrades is all better now.

some day I may get crazy and finish my second motor with a ball bearing unit and a front mount rather than a top mount.... yeah some day

Yeah, now that I have decent engine control, I'm into boost at about 2200 and at full (10psi) at about 3500 or so, not bad at all. Before, with the stock ecu, it was more laggy. I was afraid my home-made header was too big (it is a little....1.625") but I think the ecu was just confused. I had some TPS issues that didn't help...

As far as the WRX TMIC goes, I think it's a pretty good unit. While datalogging in Megatune (MS tuning software) It seems to keep the intake air charge at just a few degrees above ambient as long as I'm moving.....

All in all, I think the TDO4 is pretty well matched to the EA82T, and they're a hell of a lot easier to find with low miles.....

garner

mine will be added to the list here shortly. I hope tomorrow after I get off work to go out and start modifying the stock uppipe to fit the TD04 until I can get enough for a TWE unit:banana:

I also am going to be using a stock WRX downpipe with less the 500 miles on it for a few thousand miles till I can make my own with divorced wastegate line:D

I'm still waiting for my td04 it's in shipping limbo, I'm not planning on running the whole thing, I just want the compressor turbine. From what it looks like the shaft diameter on my stock turbo is the same as the td04 so... a little enlargement of the stock compressor housing then bolt on the turbine, better high boost performance and close to stock or better lag. This could all be blown to hell when I get the thing and it doesn't work out and if that's the case then I'll mount the td04 up with what I have and start looking for a good DP.

I'm still waiting for my td04 it's in shipping limbo, I'm not planning on running the whole thing, I just want the compressor turbine. From what it looks like the shaft diameter on my stock turbo is the same as the td04 so... a little enlargement of the stock compressor housing then bolt on the turbine, better high boost performance and close to stock or better lag. This could all be blown to hell when I get the thing and it doesn't work out and if that's the case then I'll mount the td04 up with what I have and start looking for a good DP.
I dont really think that would give you much benifit.

I highly recomend the overall performance of the TD04. espically the larger waste gate. its a bit of a pain to fit. but now that its done its worthwhile.