Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

sloppy tranny

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vtboy

vtboy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • SEDALIA

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:38 PM

i just bought a 1983 gl wagon 4wd it has a really slppy shift lever and dont like to go in gear but once in gear the tranyy works fine the goy i bought it from thought it was the cluch but the cluch dont slipp i need help thanks

#2 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,752 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:40 PM

Worn out shifter bushings. take the interior boot AND the rubber boot underneith off the shifter and move the shifter around. You'll see what needs to be replaced.

#3 stngllhm

stngllhm

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • Casper

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:42 PM

try changing the fluid in the tranny that always seems to help with hard shifting as for slopy shifting welcome to subaru

#4 RavenTBK

RavenTBK

Professional Auto Thief

• Members
  • 661 posts
  • Apalachicola Natl Forest

Posted 12 October 2004 - 04:07 PM

as for slopy shifting welcome to subaru

Posted Image Yep yep. Its something you'll learn to deal with and work around if you decide not to fix it.

Heh.. in meh Brat, third gear happens to be right about where my girlfriends knees are.. I wont mention where reverse is. :eek:

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,342 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 12 October 2004 - 06:10 PM

aside from the excessive play, the clutch cable may need tightened up a slightly to compensate for wear. if the cable is too slack the cl8tch disc will drag enough to spin the synchro and make it hard to get 1st and reverse from a stop

#6 Subi81

Subi81

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,006 posts
  • Ventura, Ca

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:38 PM

had the same thing happen to my 81 wagon, turned out that the shifter bushing were completly shot.

The base of the stick shift goes into a socket with a tiny donut looking bushing, on my 81 this bushing had completly turned to a sticky blob of plastic, also the bushing that attach the stick to the shift linkage were completly shot too.

Replaced 'em all and it was shifting like new!

#7 Seahag1978

Seahag1978

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • Witch City

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:02 PM

Skip wrote a great shifter fix article. I have it in email. If you have Microsft Word to read it... I'll be happy to send it to you.
Mary

#8 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,411 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:22 PM

I am going to do a very thorough write-up for the USRM pretty soon on how to rip your whole shifter out and replace every last bushing. It's an absolute nightmare if your car has any age on it. I've done it twice now, on both my cars, and this was replacing bushings that were MISSING entirely.

When I get around to doing it, I'll try to remember to post a link to it.

#9 BobBrumby

BobBrumby

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 13 October 2004 - 12:20 AM

yeh when replaced the "doughnut ring" in my brumby the metal shim inside the other bushing was missing as was the netral return spring from the previous owners attepmt to fix it, i got a spare and bought a new spring. I was really happy happy wif the results as up and down movemont feels nomal now but to fix all the side ways slack you need to put a cut down the linkage where the stub comes out of the tranny and put a bolt the were the pin was. there a picture on general disorders website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users