Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fair Price for LSD Rear end + Rear Discs

Hi all, seems there's been a lot of LSD related posts lately...here's one more.

I just found an 89 RX Turbo 3-dr hatch with 156K at the jy today. It's got an LSD rear diff and rear discs I wanna use for my 88 EA-81 4wd hatch (yes, I know I will have to convert to 3.9 ratio on the new LSD)

anyway, the price is $150 for the whole damn rear end, including axles and trailing arms (which I don't need but that's the deal)

Is $150 a fair price even at that mileage? this stuff is getting rare in the NE...

anyone know if I can reuse the axles?

any must have tools to pull the stuff?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'm new to the board, but I've had a lifted hatch since way back in the day (ok more like 1999 ;) ), just now getting back into it!

i payed 75 cdn for a drum/open diff setup. If it's worth 150 to you get it. But if the guy isnt paying attention to the disk/lsd goodies, he should be charging a bit less IMO.

to pull it out all you should need is your typical 10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm sockets and wrenches. You'll want to bring a breaker bar as well. And a hacksaw in case the exhaust is still there. Just unbolt the diff from the mustache bar, undo the subframe bolts near the front of the suspension, unbolt the driveshaft, coilovers, fuel pump brackets and cut or undo the brake lines. Then pull the whole setup out.

$150 sounds like a bargain to me!! I recently paid $500AU (inc shipping) for a set of rear disks. That's roughly $300US. Obviously the different sides of the world change things, as you guys got heaps more cars with the rear discs than we did, but still, definately sounds good to me.

Offer him $120 and see where it goes from there.

Wow, thanks for the great advice guys, quick too!

Stinky, you put it into good perspective, I think I will get the rear end, but I actually already talked him down from $200! and I really don't think he knew or cared that it was LSD/Rear Discs! He was mostly concerned about the axles, which he said he could sell for $50 a piece.

I suppose $150 is a decent price if the parts are good (I do get a 15 day guarantee.)

I was just kinda hoping for a steal since chances are the thing would have been scrap by next week if I hadn't come along...

I generally charge $125 for the LSD and $90 for the rear disks. They usually sell in a week or two. Off Board to others I hold out for more on the LSD but I never sold one off Board yet.
You make it sound like you have easy access to LSD... and I wanna get high (but don't have the traction).

Edit: This was meant to be a serious question.

I have been successful at finding them at the local Pull a Part. I've managed to snag one for each of our two Brats and I have a third one waiting as a spare. And I've sold two. And I've bought one on the Board.....Over the course of two years. Patience is a virtue; but keeping your eyes open and getting to the yard early helps.

You make it sound like you have easy access to LSD... and I wanna get high (but don't have the traction).

Edit: This was meant to be a serious question.