Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

help on vin codes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vtboy

vtboy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • SEDALIA

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:32 PM

i was hopeing some body in here could tell me about my car by d codeing my vin it is JF2AM53B8DE436494 THANK YOU EVERY THING YOU TOLD ME HAS HELP ME ALOT I GOT IT SHIFTING GOOD AND O YEA WERE CAN I BUY SHIFT BUSHING

#2 sios

sios

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Tennessee Valley area

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:58 PM

i was hopeing some body in here could tell me about my car by d codeing my vin it is JF2AM53B8DE436494

carfax.com says:

Year/Make/Model: 1983 SUBARU GL 4WD Body Style: Station Wagon Engine Type: 1.8L L4 2BBL Manufactured In: JAPAN Search Results: 21 records found in our database

Seems that the way VIN Code worked was changed that year ('83) and maybe has remained the same since. I wouldn't know for sure, really. But from what other people have told me the last 5 digits are a production number and the preceeding number would be designating something about the style of car but it doesn't appear to match up with what the newer models say. Of course, J is for Japan and F is Fuji Heavy Industries.

Check this web site for other info:

http://www.vehicleid...tionnumber.com/

Here's one chart showing recent model years:

http://www.oakos.com/wrx/vin.htm

Good luck finding out about the earlier VIN Code meanings.

#3 Mattrav

Mattrav

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Lake Tahoe

Posted 15 October 2004 - 01:55 PM

Why doesn't my VIN show up on carfax?

I have a 80 2dr hatch 4wd. I just got it and I am trying to figure out the engine type and actually if its a 1600 or 1800. I am just learning about subarus. I was a saab wacko for a while but lost some interest.

Anyone help?
vin#
JF23AF31F
AG703352

#4 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 15 October 2004 - 02:07 PM

... I am trying to figure out the engine type and actually if its a 1600 or 1800. I am just learning about subarus.

Oh... You may be going about this the hard way. Tail wagging the dog.

Subaru casts engine models into their blocks. On the 1800 (not sure about 1600, but should be same), find the distributor, look a little to the passenger side, and on the top of the block near where head attaches it should say in aprox inch-high letters "EA81" if it is 1800, and (I assume) "EA71" if it is 1600.

#5 stngllhm

stngllhm

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • Casper

Posted 15 October 2004 - 02:26 PM

another way to tell if it is a 1600 ar 1800 is the position of the starter if it is on the very top it is a 1600 if it is an 1800 it will be off to the driver side on top

hope this helps

#6 Mattrav

Mattrav

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Lake Tahoe

Posted 15 October 2004 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will take a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users