Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I found a wrecked 91 4WD Legacy wagon with a 2.2 in it. The guy doesn't want much for the engine, and I thought about buying it just to keep on hand and maybe slowly build up for down the road when mine eventually croaks. I have a 95 Legacy. Are the 2.2s from these different generations interchangable? I'm brand new to the Subaru world--I assume at least the short blocks would be the same, but you never know...

The 2.2's out of the first gen legacies are different then the ones in the 2nd gen legacies.

There are a few internal changes, as well as the heads, and few misc other stuff. You could swap it in, but you'll need a new exhaust manifold and probably need to tweak a few other things.

I'd probably pass on getting the motor.

Well, if you're looking to swap thinking maybe the other one has more power, I wouldn't. OR if you're looking to swap because you're block is bad, or something... that would be different.

Between pre '94 and post '95 there are a bunch of different sensor connections. you'd be safe to take your manifold and TB off your engine, do the same with the donor engine, drop it in, and bolt your stuff back on.

The manifolds may not fit though depending on how different the heads are. I dunno when they started going to single port but if his engine is singleport the exhaust wont fit like josh stated, and if the spacing, or mounting is different on the intake ports that wont fit either. Really if you're worried about your current engine giving up you're going to be worring for a long time. It's quite a reliable engine if you take care of it.

Well, I'm not that worried about this current engine going bad. It feels smooth and strong and I make sure to keep up with my maintenance schedule. I just thought it might be fun to buy the older 2.2 and rebuild it gradually and have it on hand for that day in the future when my current 2.2 dictates a replacement. Or, you never know when some freaky engine mishap can take place you never expected...

I'll inspect the engine a little closer. It's still in the car, so I can get the exhaust manifold, etc. What's the story on boring out a Subaru block? Are there oversized pistons out there for a bigger bore cylinder, or are the cylinder walls too thin for a bore? This whole Subaru 4 cylinder design fascinates me and it'd be fun to rip one apart. :cool:

I really don't know why the car got to the salvage yard in the first place--the body is straight w/ only some Wal-Mart parking lot type damage to it and it was a 4WD Legacy wagon, 5-speed. Course now the rear end has been stripped, wheels all gone, dash ripped apart to snag the radio, and the interior goes to crap once a car hits the salvage yard. If I had the garage space, though, I'd consider buying it as a restoration...