Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wonky speedometer and odometer

I have a '99 Outback. The speedometer and odometer intermittently cut out. When the do cut out, sometimes they come back on while driving, sometimes they don't. They both cut on and off at the same time. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it? Any help is appreciated.

Guest turbohounds

We just purchased a '99 Outback that developed this problem the day we bought it. The dealership replaced the vehicle speed sensor and the speedometer head to fix the problem. I spoke with my brother in law who authorizes auto insurance claims and he sees an equal mix of the two in Subies.

Can you set the cruise while the speedometer isn't working? If you can, then the problem is in the speedometer head itself. If not, then it's likely the speed sensor on the transmission. You can try pulling the connector off the speed sensor, cleaning the connection and add a little dielectric grease and see if it helps. I tried this on ours, but the connector is pretty solid and didn't show any corrosion.

• 1 month later...
Guest TinyClark

I had a similar problem prior to an alternator going bad, but I took the cluster out, tightened all the screws on the circuit board, and reattached all the connectors... no problem since.

I really don't think the alternator was the cause, but can't say for certain.