Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Oil - does it have a shelf life?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Philbiker

Philbiker

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Northern Virginia USA

Posted 15 October 2004 - 10:35 AM

I found four quarts of oil in my garage. They're about 8 years old. Pep Boys Synthetic 10W-40. Think it's still good to use?

#2 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 15 October 2004 - 10:54 AM

Oil has improved a great deal in the last eight years. That and the fact that it is fairly old would keep me from putting it in anything I cared about. Maybe a junker car or junker lawnmower.

#3 howards11

howards11

2000 Forester L

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • PHL

Posted 15 October 2004 - 10:57 AM

Oil has undergone changes in 8 yrs. I would just get rid of it. How much are you saving by using it ? $6.00 or so <$1.50/qt.> ?
~Howard
:eek:

#4 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 15 October 2004 - 11:17 AM

Throw it in your 4 stroke lawn mower or in the garbage :) I wouldnt even trust Pep Boys oil brand new off the shelf :lol:

#5 Philbiker

Philbiker

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Northern Virginia USA

Posted 15 October 2004 - 01:48 PM

If anyone has any simple answer without editorial comments to the original question, I'm listening.:banghead:

Here's a good link: http://lubricants.s5.com/shelf.htm thouth I've found others that say that full synthetics have a much longer shelf life than "conventional" oils.

This is pre-SJ oil, so I could put it in my 9 year old motorcycle (I used to buy it by the 4-pack case, I think it must have been on sale). I'm sure it will work in there. The anti-shear additaves in the SJ+ oils make them unfit for motorcycles that share engine oil between the engine and transmission/clutch. Moto-specific oils are expensive, and I just hate being wasteful.

I don't know if it's true now, but when I bought this, Pep Boys synthetic was manufactured by and exactly the same formulation as Valvoline synthetic for a much lower price. :eek:

My lawn mower is a reel style push mower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users