Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

blinking POWER light

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_c mike go_*

Guest_c mike go_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:30 AM

91 Legacy SW--recently, the POWER (green) light has been blinking when I start the car. Although sometimes it doesn't--it normally comes on for about 3 seconds, then goes out. When the blinking occurs, it comes on the for normal 3 seconds, then blinks 16 times. Can anyone help me interpret what this means ?? Thanks...

#2 Guest_brattysvx_*

Guest_brattysvx_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2002 - 07:30 AM

Its bad or at least it could be bad! It means your transmission control unit (TCU) is telling you there is a problem with the transmission. You can have the system tell you what's wrong yourself. You'll need a screw driver to allow you to move your shifter with the ign off (there should be a screw under a plastic cover in front of the shifter lever. Take the screw out and push the metal piece to the side. Stick the screwdriver in and push it toward the shifter lever. It'll take a bit to find the spot but it'll loosen up the shifter so you can move it with the ign off. Then, you'll want to follow this proceedure.

Diagnostics
The "Power" light indicates transmission codes. The following self diagnosis will show any fault codes for the transmission.

To perform the self diagnostic test for EXISTING problems
1) Warm up engine by driving at speeds greater than 12mph.
2) Stop vehicle and turn ignition switch OFF.
3) Turn ignition switch ON and make sure POWER indicator lamp comes on.
4) Turn ignition switch OFF.
5) Move selector lever to D and turn manual switch ON.
6) Turn ignition switch ON.
7) Move selector lever to "3" and turn manual switch OFF.
:cool: Move selector level to "2" and turn manual switch ON.
9) Move selector lever to "1" and turn manual switch OFF.
10) Partially depress accelerator pedal (to turn idle switch off).
11) Check code as displayed on POWER light. Blinking once every 1/4sec is normal.

To perform the self diagnostic test for PREVIOUS problems
1) Warm up engine by driving at speeds greater than 12mph.
2) Stop vehicle and turn ignition switch OFF.
3) Turn ignition switch ON and make sure POWER indicator lamp comes on.
4) Turn ignition switch OFF.
5) Move selector lever to "1" and turn manual switch ON.
6) Turn ignition switch ON.
7) Move selector lever to "2" and turn manual switch OFF.
:cool: Move selector lever to "3" and turn manual switch ON.
9) Move selector lever to "D" and turn manual switch OFF.
10) Partially depress accelerator pedal (to turn idle switch off).
11) Check code as displayed on POWER light. Blinking once every 1/4sec is normal.

It'll blink long and short. Long is 5, short is one so 2 longs, 1 short is 11.

Trouble codes:
11 Duty solenoid A
12 Duty solenoid B
13 Shift solenoid 3
14 Shift solenoid 2
15 Shift solenoid 1
21 ATF temp sensor
22 Atmospheric sensor
23 Engine revolution signal
24 Duty solenoid C
25 Engine torque control signal
31 Throttle sensor
32 Vehicle speed sensor 1
33 Vehicle speed sensor 2

#3 Guest_ccrinc_*

Guest_ccrinc_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2002 - 06:09 PM

Bratty,

What you doin' pokin' around with screwdrivers, man? :evil:
That's what the button at the front of the plastic shroud around the shifter is for! You know, the little one? Besides, when you perform the test, the ignition is on, but the engine isn't running.

Emily
www.ccrengines.com

#4 Guest_brattysvx_*

Guest_brattysvx_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2002 - 07:54 PM

I meant to put a disclaimer saying that this was what you do for an SVX and there may be slight differences for the Legacy. I just got lazy. Of course the eng would need to be off otherwise it probably wouldn't work real well.

#5 Guest_c mike go_*

Guest_c mike go_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2002 - 10:12 AM

Thanks !! I did this simple procedure this morning after driving to work (so everything was warmed up). For the "existing" problems, just the normal 1/4-second blinking (so I assume nothing was currently reported as having a problem ?). For the "previous" problems, I got 2 codes-- a 14 (2 long; 4 short blinks) and an 18 (3 long; 3 short blinks)... any idea what the 18 is for ? The transmission has been acting fine, as far as I can tell, including a 150-mile commute for 4 days last week. Are these solenoids etc. difficult to remove and replace ?

#6 Guest_subyspeed_*

Guest_subyspeed_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2002 - 10:30 AM

umm, how are you figuring your codes out? 2 long and 4 short, wouldn't that be 24? and 3 long and 3 short, 33?

#7 Guest_GRog_*

Guest_GRog_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2002 - 10:51 AM

The long segment (1.2 secs on) indicates a 10 (not a 5) on a legacy. The short segment still indicates a 1.

So subyspeed is right, your error codes are 24 and 33 (Duty Solenoid C, and Speed sensor 2).

#8 Guest_c mike go_*

Guest_c mike go_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2002 - 09:19 AM

So--are these components hard to access and replace ?? I got the Duty Solenoid C code (24) this morning after making a tight turn into a parking space, and having the rear right wheel bind during the turn.

#9 Guest_brattysvx_*

Guest_brattysvx_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2002 - 07:28 AM

About $500 in my svx. Its in your tranny. Don't drive it the way it is or you'll kill your clutch pack. Its like driving a part time 4x4 on dry pavement. The only slippage the clutch is getting around turns is that binding.

#10 Guest_Legacy777_*

Guest_Legacy777_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2002 - 08:54 AM

Goin to archive this in a day, unless you guys are not done...

#11 Guest_snoutmeat_*

Guest_snoutmeat_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2002 - 01:48 AM

Does "about $500 in my SVX" mean the part was $500, or that it cost $500 because the shop had to drop out the tranny and open it up to fix it?

Thanks,
Shane in Seattle

#12 Guest_brattysvx_*

Guest_brattysvx_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2002 - 07:32 PM

Part was around 100 or 200. The rest was that beautiful $60 an hour labor. She came back clean though and that's what counts right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users