Ultimate Subaru Message Board

blinking POWER light

Guest c mike go

91 Legacy SW--recently, the POWER (green) light has been blinking when I start the car. Although sometimes it doesn't--it normally comes on for about 3 seconds, then goes out. When the blinking occurs, it comes on the for normal 3 seconds, then blinks 16 times. Can anyone help me interpret what this means ?? Thanks...

Guest brattysvx

Its bad or at least it could be bad! It means your transmission control unit (TCU) is telling you there is a problem with the transmission. You can have the system tell you what's wrong yourself. You'll need a screw driver to allow you to move your shifter with the ign off (there should be a screw under a plastic cover in front of the shifter lever. Take the screw out and push the metal piece to the side. Stick the screwdriver in and push it toward the shifter lever. It'll take a bit to find the spot but it'll loosen up the shifter so you can move it with the ign off. Then, you'll want to follow this proceedure.

Diagnostics

The "Power" light indicates transmission codes. The following self diagnosis will show any fault codes for the transmission.

To perform the self diagnostic test for EXISTING problems

1) Warm up engine by driving at speeds greater than 12mph.

2) Stop vehicle and turn ignition switch OFF.

3) Turn ignition switch ON and make sure POWER indicator lamp comes on.

4) Turn ignition switch OFF.

5) Move selector lever to D and turn manual switch ON.

6) Turn ignition switch ON.

7) Move selector lever to "3" and turn manual switch OFF.

:cool: Move selector level to "2" and turn manual switch ON.

9) Move selector lever to "1" and turn manual switch OFF.

10) Partially depress accelerator pedal (to turn idle switch off).

11) Check code as displayed on POWER light. Blinking once every 1/4sec is normal.

To perform the self diagnostic test for PREVIOUS problems

1) Warm up engine by driving at speeds greater than 12mph.

2) Stop vehicle and turn ignition switch OFF.

3) Turn ignition switch ON and make sure POWER indicator lamp comes on.

4) Turn ignition switch OFF.

5) Move selector lever to "1" and turn manual switch ON.

6) Turn ignition switch ON.

7) Move selector lever to "2" and turn manual switch OFF.

:cool: Move selector lever to "3" and turn manual switch ON.

9) Move selector lever to "D" and turn manual switch OFF.

10) Partially depress accelerator pedal (to turn idle switch off).

11) Check code as displayed on POWER light. Blinking once every 1/4sec is normal.

It'll blink long and short. Long is 5, short is one so 2 longs, 1 short is 11.

Trouble codes:

11 Duty solenoid A

12 Duty solenoid B

13 Shift solenoid 3

14 Shift solenoid 2

15 Shift solenoid 1

21 ATF temp sensor

22 Atmospheric sensor

23 Engine revolution signal

24 Duty solenoid C

25 Engine torque control signal

31 Throttle sensor

32 Vehicle speed sensor 1

33 Vehicle speed sensor 2

Guest ccrinc

Bratty,

What you doin' pokin' around with screwdrivers, man? :evil:

That's what the button at the front of the plastic shroud around the shifter is for! You know, the little one? Besides, when you perform the test, the ignition is on, but the engine isn't running.

Emily

www.ccrengines.com

Guest brattysvx

I meant to put a disclaimer saying that this was what you do for an SVX and there may be slight differences for the Legacy. I just got lazy. Of course the eng would need to be off otherwise it probably wouldn't work real well.

Guest c mike go

Thanks !! I did this simple procedure this morning after driving to work (so everything was warmed up). For the "existing" problems, just the normal 1/4-second blinking (so I assume nothing was currently reported as having a problem ?). For the "previous" problems, I got 2 codes-- a 14 (2 long; 4 short blinks) and an 18 (3 long; 3 short blinks)... any idea what the 18 is for ? The transmission has been acting fine, as far as I can tell, including a 150-mile commute for 4 days last week. Are these solenoids etc. difficult to remove and replace ?

The long segment (1.2 secs on) indicates a 10 (not a 5) on a legacy. The short segment still indicates a 1.

So subyspeed is right, your error codes are 24 and 33 (Duty Solenoid C, and Speed sensor 2).

Guest c mike go

So--are these components hard to access and replace ?? I got the Duty Solenoid C code (24) this morning after making a tight turn into a parking space, and having the rear right wheel bind during the turn.

Guest brattysvx

About $500 in my svx. Its in your tranny. Don't drive it the way it is or you'll kill your clutch pack. Its like driving a part time 4x4 on dry pavement. The only slippage the clutch is getting around turns is that binding.

Guest snoutmeat

Does "about $500 in my SVX" mean the part was $500, or that it cost $500 because the shop had to drop out the tranny and open it up to fix it?

Thanks,

Shane in Seattle