Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So what is the differance between DL and GL on a 78?

GL's had:

4 headlights

wheelwell trim

tach

4 spoke steering wheel

lighted ashtray

lighted cigarette lighter

AM/FM radio

cloth seats

clock

1978 really didn't have a "formal GL" (silver dash)

1979-1981 "formally" did have GLs

Todd

My '78 would be a healthy mix of the items Todd listed.So,for sure it was a DL/GL,very rare,worth tens of thousands of dollars. ;) ...or so I convince myself.

Correct Mr.Todd....'79 begins the DL/GL badging.Before that it was all just talk amongst the neighbors.

My '78 would be a healthy mix of the items Todd listed.So,for sure it was a DL/GL,very rare,worth tens of thousands of dollars. ;) ...or so I convince myself.

Correct Mr.Todd....'79 begins the DL/GL badging.Before that it was all just talk amongst the neighbors.

Woo that means my '79 wagon is worth tens of thousands of dollars too Paul!!!:D It has everything on that list too except the tach, clock, and the wheelwell trim....

Ok but isn't there a few more options that came on the GLs? Like A/C, and a roof rack?

OK then:confused:

Heres what I'm trying to figure out.

My 77 BRAT:

4 headlights

vinel seats

78 BRAT:

4 headlights

vinel seats

silver dash trim

79 BRAT:

2 headlights

came with clothseats.

Wood grain trim

A.C.

Never seen one with a tach. From looking at the 78 owners manual I have, it looks like only the Hardtop came with a tach.

And I guess in 78 there was no GL.

There was an STD 2 door

an FE coupe

a GF hardtop

The BRAT is listed as (Open MPV):-\

Everything else is just a DL.

well here's what I've got:

'78 Brat

Black dash trim

4-headlights

vinal seats

'79 wagon (4wd)

woodgrain dash trim

4-headlights

cloth seats

I have seen a '79 Brat GL with the tach. It also had this cool stripping package on it that I've never seen before either which is weird. I've looked and looked but cannot find a pic of one, even in the brochures.... Lemme describe it..

It went from the tips of the front fenders back along the doors where the targa stripes came down the b-pillar into it but it kept going back along to the rear where it went and wrapped around the tailgate and met up with the other side. It was about 2" below the windows on doors and stayed there the whole time, didn't move up or down. I do remember that it also had a spot cut out for the tailgate handle if that helps anyone....Does anyone have a pic of a gen 1 brat with this stripping on it? (Sorry don't mean to hijack)

hmmm... my "new" '78

4 headlights

silver trim on the dash

top center ashtray, unlighted

no tach

no wheel well trim

no side molding

sunroof?

vinyl seats

?? radio?? it's a Sony aftermarket

white spoke wheels

One odd thing, my original '78 only had an AM radio, no cassette and side molding, silver wheels (not spoke), blue interior, vinyl seats, roll bar in black... the picture here is the original model, completely stock... I guess I never knew DL from GL?

post-5798-13602759655_thumb.jpg

• AC on all Gen 1's (Cars and BRATs), was added in the US. NONE came from the factory with it.
  • Essentially, the most common GL's, from LATE 79 forward, had cloth seat, black body side molding, 4 headlights, tach, clock, lighted ashtray and cig lighter, AM FM radio.
  • All 79 and up had the wood dash.
  • 1978 was the only year with silver dash.
  • The 78 and 79 GF was the "top of the line" ALL had tachs.
  • Some early BRAT GL's came with vinyl seats
  • 78 was a weird year. No formal 'GL". No telling what you may find though. I have seen very late 78s with wood dashes.
  • Wheels can be changed out. They do not indicate the GL/DL status.
  • Options were. 8 track, AC, sliding rear window, wood steering wheel/shifter knob,armrest, lower engine protector, leather wrap steering wheel, winch, various different bumpers/rollbars, caps, wheels, floor mats, locking fuel cap door,fog lights, bumper guards and various other options fro the cars and wagons, (racks).

Todd

I also noticed that the molding running down the sides of my Brat compared to my wagon was different on the front fenders. It runs almost to the front on the wagon whereas it runs to just about the front wheel on the Brat, maybe a little shorter. Is this a year diiference or is it something else?

That silver molding with rubber insert was also added "stateside". It came in long lengths with end pieces/bullets. It just depended on the day of the week and who was installing it, as to what level it was at at how far it extended.

Todd

• 1 month later...

• AC on all Gen 1's (Cars and BRATs), was added in the US. NONE came from the factory with it.
  • Essentially, the most common GL's, from LATE 79 forward, had cloth seat, black body side molding, 4 headlights, tach, clock, lighted ashtray and cig lighter, AM FM radio.
  • All 79 and up had the wood dash.
  • 1978 was the only year with silver dash.
  • The 78 and 79 GF was the "top of the line" ALL had tachs.
  • Some early BRAT GL's came with vinyl seats
  • 78 was a weird year. No formal 'GL". No telling what you may find though. I have seen very late 78s with wood dashes.
  • Wheels can be changed out. They do not indicate the GL/DL status.
  • Options were. 8 track, AC, sliding rear window, wood steering wheel/shifter knob,armrest, lower engine protector, leather wrap steering wheel, winch, various different bumpers/rollbars, caps, wheels, floor mats, locking fuel cap door,fog lights, bumper guards and various other options fro the cars and wagons, (racks).

Todd

I will take Todd's word over a Chilton manual any day!!

Honored as well.Gosh,to have all my 70's Subaru experiences in clear vision.......now that's a task!

Just get 'em,worry about particulars later. :brow: Most of the planet doesn't know squat about these little beasties.I'd like to see some muscle car freak come over and tell me all about GL/DL features of the 70's.......yeah,right.But noetheless we should get as detailed an account as possible and archive the details since WE are the vintage Subaru Heads of State. :-p

And if he had posted to this before I would have placed him in that sentence as well. That seemed the best response at the moment.

I know where the info is when we need it.

BTW, I have some stuff that may be of interest to the both of you. Contact me off board when you get the time.