Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have never been comfortable in the standard seat provided in L model Legacys (Legacies?). My wife's 1996 wagon is uncomfortable to me, so I avoid driving it whenever possible (but sometimes I need the carrying capacity). I swapped the seats from my 1997 sedan with Outback seats to get adjustable lumbar support (which I felt was just adequate in the full support position).

I have spent the past 3 years in an Audi A4 1.8T Quattro, which I loved to death and would still own if the repairs and maintenance weren't so expensive (why would CV joints break on a German car, twice, on out of town trips?). The seats were immediately and fully comfortable to me. Now I am spoiled.

I have replaced the Audi with a 2003 Legacy Special Edition which is very nice (much better power and road holding than the previous generation) except for ... the seats. The driver's seat feels like the previous drivers (it was a rental) were all 300 pound gorillas. The padding feels all lumpy and out of place.

I have the idea that I can swap out the manual seats with power seats to get height and angle adjustment (lumbar too, maybe?).

Questions:

1) What is the easiest way to get power to operate the seat? Is the wiring already in place, per chance?

2) Will the seats from any of the same generation Legacy and Outback fit my car, or is 2003 unique?

3) Do all power seats have air bags?

4) What would you do/have you done to make your seats more comfortable?

Dave Moore

2003 Legacy SE (burnt orange, what's the correct color name?)

Was my message too long to read all the way to the quesitons;) ? Or does no one know the answers?

How about this: Who would be the best authority to consult to find out for sure that a power seat will fit in place of a manual seat: dealer's service department, dealer's body shop or other?

Dave

Was my message too long to read all the way to the quesitons;) ? Or does no one know the answers?

How about this: Who would be the best authority to consult to find out for sure that a power seat will fit in place of a manual seat: dealer's service department, dealer's body shop or other?

Dave

I have a 2003 wagon SE like yours I guess, and mine as a drivers power seat (standard ) and heated but I don't find it more confortable then a standard seat.....I even believe a power seat has less padding material....best bet swap another seat....an audi seat maybe?

on a car this new so not many will have experience to share. Swapping seats is not as easy as it used to be with seat heaters and air bag wiring.

You will at least need the relay and switches for the seat you will use. I suggest you try a car fitted the way you want as this stuff gets expensive quick.

I am more familiar with BMWs and it seems to change to sport seats I recall someone buying the seats on ebay for $1500 and being out of the job for around $2,000. Subie seats should cost less if you can find a car with all the bits you want in a wrecking yard.

I expect your car would be prewired like a BMW but I am not sure.