Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

brake caliper troubles

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 16 October 2004 - 03:02 AM

I can't get the piston back in. I want to put new(ish) pads in and I can't get the piston in. I've never had a car fight me like this, I don't understand. what am I doing wrong? I am loosing the bleeder screw, turning the piston clockwise, pressing in on it. am I missing something? I don't have the tool for this but I will in the morning. just wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong.
edit- the car is my 88 RX

#2 Frank B

Frank B

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • VA

Posted 16 October 2004 - 08:58 AM

Sounds right, keep trying.

#3 Spector303

Spector303

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Bristol England UK

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:53 AM

I can't get the piston back in. I want to put new(ish) pads in and I can't get the piston in. I've never had a car fight me like this, I don't understand. what am I doing wrong? I am loosing the bleeder screw, turning the piston clockwise, pressing in on it. am I missing something? I don't have the tool for this but I will in the morning. just wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong.
edit- the car is my 88 RX

They can be stubborn I know - I always use a squirt of WD40 around the piston and then use a 'G' clamp (Dont know what you Americans call it) to wind the piston back into the caliper assembly which seems to work well - oh and don't forget to remove the brake fluid reservoir cap to relieve a potential fluid lock sitaution and it also means you don't have to loosen off the bleed nipple and lose fluid - loosening the bleed nipple can also introduce air into the system but i'm sure you already know this.

Good luck.

Spector 303 England UK.

#4 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,398 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 16 October 2004 - 10:12 AM

we call it a c-clamp...thats funny .g-clamp,c-clamp. sorry.oh yeah, you are doing it right.if at first yo9u don't succeed try "screwing" it back in with a clockwise motion using pliers.that has worked for me before.special tool or no special tool this job can suck..good luck man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users