Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HELP!! 90 Legacy Auto

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Eljefe

Eljefe

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 16 October 2004 - 11:27 AM

Trans is starting to slip going into reverse & 2nd gear!! It just started a couple of days ago. Anyone know what causes this and how to fix it before it gets any worse.??
Thanks....Jeff

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,711 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 16 October 2004 - 03:21 PM

Have you checked/changed the tranny fluid recently?

#3 Eljefe

Eljefe

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 16 October 2004 - 03:58 PM

Have you checked/changed the tranny fluid recently?

Hello. I checked it, but haven't changed it. It is clean and red with no smell of burned fluid.

#4 subieman

subieman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • Sparks, NV

Posted 17 October 2004 - 12:10 AM

I think there is a way to adjust the bands from outside of the tranny. But I'm not positive on that.

My 90 Legacy gave up 2nd and reverse also. I pulled the trannys oil pan and I found large chunks of metal and a weird washer looking thing in the bottom. Not good!

Good luck on yours, I would start with a AFT flush to prevent any further damage.

#5 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 17 October 2004 - 07:55 AM

Does this happen right away when everything is cold, or only once the car gets warmed up?

Dealer service manager told me once that there is an o-ring on the pump maybe, not sure all of the sudden, that starts to go and once the trans is warmed up it will start to lose some pressure and it will slip between shifts. I alos think he said that seal was accesable by pulling the pan on the tranny.

Keith

#6 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 17 October 2004 - 08:21 AM

Jeff, I'm not one thats
much for "miracles in a can"
but I have had very good luck
with a product

LUCAS Transmission conditioner

Available at most NAPAs
says it's designed to fix exactly your problem.

#7 Eljefe

Eljefe

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 17 October 2004 - 12:14 PM

Does this happen right away when everything is cold, or only once the car gets warmed up?

Dealer service manager told me once that there is an o-ring on the pump maybe, not sure all of the sudden, that starts to go and once the trans is warmed up it will start to lose some pressure and it will slip between shifts. I alos think he said that seal was accesable by pulling the pan on the tranny.

Keith

The slipping in reverse is mostly when it's cold, and the slipping in 2nd. gear in under moderate throttle. Al the other gears are solid shifts. Guess I should go order the trans. manual from Subaru.

#8 Eljefe

Eljefe

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 17 October 2004 - 12:20 PM

Jeff, I'm not one thats
much for "miracles in a can"
but I have had very good luck
with a product

LUCAS Transmission conditioner

Available at most NAPAs
says it's designed to fix exactly your problem.

I'm not big on those either, but I have used Lucas products in the past. The fuel system clener and oil additive. I use Restore all the time, I put it in another vehicle of mine with mechanical gauges and noticed a small increase in oil pressure, but a bigger decrease in temp. Living in Hell (arizona) you need all the help you can get.

#9 jcniest5

jcniest5

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • The Twin Cities

Posted 17 October 2004 - 12:52 PM

.....a weird washer looking thing in the bottom. Not good!

Don't take out this washer like thing! It's a magnetic metal that suppose to hold all metal pieces that the tranny pewk. It there to prevent the metal pieces from going back into the tranny again.

#10 subieman

subieman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • Sparks, NV

Posted 17 October 2004 - 08:39 PM

Don't take out this washer like thing! It's a magnetic metal that suppose to hold all metal pieces that the tranny pewk. It there to prevent the metal pieces from going back into the tranny again.

Okay I'll say this... the washer was stuck on the magnet! I know what the magnet is for and I left it in there.

#11 Eljefe

Eljefe

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:44 PM

Well, I went to the Dealer yesterday to order the trans. manual. I talked to one of the service techs. He said the problem is probably the seal on the piston that actuates (sp) second gear. It involves a complete teardown to get to it !!!! So, I'm trying the Lucas trans fix until I can come up with enough $$$ to fix this thing. He even suggested trying it to see if it makes any difference.

#12 Eljefe

Eljefe

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 24 October 2004 - 12:06 PM

:clap: Well, I got my tranny manual from the dealer. I read through all the trouble shooting areas and found that all i needed was a band adjustment. I put a half turn in on the adjuster screw, Good as new!!! shifts just like it used to.. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

#13 sasquatch

sasquatch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Vancouver

Posted 24 October 2004 - 01:24 PM

:clap: Well, I got my tranny manual from the dealer. I read through all the trouble shooting areas and found that all i needed was a band adjustment. I put a half turn in on the adjuster screw, Good as new!!! shifts just like it used to.. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

sWEET! Good for you !

#14 coloradosubarules

coloradosubarules

Banned

• Banned
  • 870 posts
  • Port St. Lucie

Posted 24 October 2004 - 01:28 PM

Is there anyway you can e-mail me that page or instructions on how to do that. I have a 90 legacy wagon as well and it is having some issues.

#15 Eljefe

Eljefe

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 25 October 2004 - 12:18 PM

Is there anyway you can e-mail me that page or instructions on how to do that. I have a 90 legacy wagon as well and it is having some issues.

Sure, i'll scan it and send it to you. It is easier to do if you take the starter out, the band adjuster is on the top left of the trans. right behind the starter.

#16 Eljefe

Eljefe

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 25 October 2004 - 12:49 PM

coloradosubarules... check your PM's.

#17 kaptnken

kaptnken

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • SW

Posted 27 October 2004 - 05:32 PM

Hi...I have a 91 Legacy 2WD that is having slipping problems too and what you say sounds like just what I need to do. Could you send me that information?

TIA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users