Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 2.2 drops dead, comes to life, but intermietant. ig help!!

I have a 1990 legacy 4x4 5speed 2.2, and we live in northern england where subes are rare. its been struggaling to start on and off lately, and it dropped dead on the motorway in trafic today. I pulled the fuel line and it was gushing on crank. we got towed and it started on tow. then it died. then it role started, then it died.

Now, it seemed like when it was having trouble starting that as I gave up it would start. so, carnk curcuit bad, run curcuit good, or for those of you with old cars, you would guess resistor curcuit right? Now, if there is a diference, they are both bad. SO, I am guessing igntion module. I have very little in test equipment. so ....

1 is my diagnosis close?

2 are the crank/cam sensors and coil and ignition modules the same on the impreza from teh same year?

thanks

Richard.

Ps shan wheres my hoodie?

this is my 4th sube, 2 wagons, 1 hatch and a legacy. you shoulda seen the red wagon! (turbo injection pushrod fulltime 5 speed hi/lo lsd, lowered and kybs all round with teh sticky wide rubber to match. type r killer with push rods!)

bump!

I think I got it. the car has a PCB (printed curcuit board) imobilizer key that looks a little tired. I have bypassed it and it won't die. I also got a coil pack and a cam sensor and two ignition modules at the scrapyard for cheapo for cheap insurance.

ps, the ignition modules for the impreza are the same as for teh legacy.