Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What happens if....injector time.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 04:56 PM

On the right, a STOCK EA82T injector...on the left...same item, but with the ugly yellow/orange plastic 'accidentally' broken off of it completely....

Posted Image

I wonder what kind of difference this makes towards flow or spray pattern or what not....

#2 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 16 October 2004 - 05:01 PM

probably a big difference.. but not necessarily a good one :P good luck though

#3 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 05:04 PM

probably a big difference.. but not necessarily a good one :P good luck though

what would not be good about it....? Ive not got a clue really.

#4 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 16 October 2004 - 06:22 PM

what would not be good about it....? Ive not got a clue really.

Why don't you send it to me with $25.00? I'll put up the other $25.00 and immediately send it off to RC Engineering. Upon return of the injectors, I'll scan the result and send them both back to you so shipping will be evened out. What do you say?

We can keep the results to ourselves and charge everyone on the board mucho bucks for an injector upgrade and live happily ever after. :brow:

#5 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 06:32 PM

Why don't you send it to me with $25.00? I'll put up the other $25.00 and immediately send it off to RC Engineering. Upon return of the injectors, I'll scan the result and send them both back to you so shipping will be evened out. What do you say?

We can keep the results to ourselves and charge everyone on the board mucho bucks for an injector upgrade and live happily ever after. :brow:

:banana: Sounds like a plan!

#6 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 16 October 2004 - 10:41 PM

Thats an intersting idea..

Funny thing is, I already have a set of those in the garage cut just like that..

The WRX guys do it with their stock injectors.. brings the flow from stock (440cc I believe) to ~720. I know one guy locally that is using them in an 02 WRX wagon putting down ~285 at the wheels.

#7 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,125 posts
  • WA

Posted 16 October 2004 - 11:18 PM

Caleb, you went and spilled the beans :banghead: :mad:

#8 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 17 October 2004 - 01:10 AM

I didn't intend for it to hit the public forums until after a little more research... :shrug:

#9 nomica

nomica

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Mountlake Terrace, WA

Posted 17 October 2004 - 01:17 AM

Hey, this is Tex on my GF's machine.

Our injectors are a needle valve type. Modern WRX injectors are a disc style.

Our cover helps shape the spray pattern. By cutting it off, we could lose atomization of the fuel and thus not be as effecient.

The screen on the wrx injector (from all that i've read/heard) is actually what fuji uses to set the flow rate of the injector. Example: STi injectors are the same... but with a different screen on them.

I think for our injectors to flow more we would have to increase the size of the bore and the size of the needle that fills it.

#10 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 17 October 2004 - 02:00 AM

i have 4 that have the plastic/stock cap thingy, and 2 that i broke, and left off... this is on my toyotav6, and i have ran it that way for years. couldnt ever tell the difference.

#11 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 17 October 2004 - 03:42 AM

this is kind of what i meant.

Hey, this is Tex on my GF's machine.

Our injectors are a needle valve type. Modern WRX injectors are a disc style.

Our cover helps shape the spray pattern. By cutting it off, we could lose atomization of the fuel and thus not be as effecient.

The screen on the wrx injector (from all that i've read/heard) is actually what fuji uses to set the flow rate of the injector. Example: STi injectors are the same... but with a different screen on them.

I think for our injectors to flow more we would have to increase the size of the bore and the size of the needle that fills it.

#12 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 08:17 AM

with the new fuel system I am going to have on my spyder intake...it will make changing injectors a 5 mins job...so I am going to try both sets of injectors and see whats going to happen.

I did look at the plastic on the end before i posted...and I did figure by the shape of the exit at the needle...it did have something to do with the spray.

#13 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 17 October 2004 - 09:16 AM

well if someone has a couple of dead injectors
i could cut them in half with my metal bandsaw
maybe one or 2 dead sti injectors might be interesting to compare them thatway..

#14 subyrally

subyrally

Trust your Turbo-Lust

• Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • frederick, md

Posted 17 October 2004 - 11:35 AM

im gunna be needing better injectors for my rx once i get the new turbo in it.anyone know what else fits the spyder manifold?

#15 electryc_monk

electryc_monk

Air-ride Airehead

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Denton, Tx

Posted 17 October 2004 - 01:38 PM

injector flow rates...

that being said where/who has the sheet to show flow rates for EA82 and the ER27 injectors for comparison AND for comparison from the cleaning that you guys are thinking of doing.,....

inquireing minds and all that

#16 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 01:51 PM

injector flow rates...

that being said where/who has the sheet to show flow rates for EA82 and the ER27 injectors for comparison AND for comparison from the cleaning that you guys are thinking of doing.,....

inquireing minds and all that

Kevin has them.

#17 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 17 October 2004 - 02:51 PM

My 2 cents is that it is primarily for spray pattern. Mess with it and atomization will be affected.

A couple of secondary possible purposes would be:
1)for tuning of spray pattern (i.e. - change angle of divergence and/or depth of passage), or

2)ease of machining... pintle and seat machining separate from orifice/atomizer, or

3)some protection for projecting pintle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users