Ultimate Subaru Message Board

possible rear wheel drive solution?

ok i was pondering and, now this is a big IF but instead of just removing the front axles, as a more permanent swap for RWD, how would a RX-7 transmission fit?

the main reason i was thinking of this was because if the adaptor was made to fit a rotary to a EA tranny, would it be possible to use a EA/EJ engine and a RX-7 tranny? unfortunately i have no idea if everything would line up or not with the engine and tranny (clutch fork/splines and stuff like that), but it would be really cool.

Now since the tranny doesnt have linkages to it, rather the gear knob is on the tranny itself, the transmission and engine could be slid back for better weight distribution. i believe the rx7 tranny is longer but there is enough room to slide it back since it doesnt need linkage stuff. (again i have no idea of the length of the tranny itself.)

the rear diff could stay the same, but you would need to mod the crossmember engine/tranny, and the driveshaft, and im sure some other stuff.

so, whatdaya think?

thanks.

or you could just use the tranny that bolts to it, that subaru made!

im tired of all of these what if posts. you could do it... no problem, but WHY. removing the two front axles is a permanent rwd fix.

moving the subaru tranny back would be cool to get the engine centered over the wheels, but with a subaru transmission.

I can see the point of using the RX7 trans...no front diff/axle stubs to mess with...and in my case with the RX, no center diff lock to worry about breaking and then be stranded cuz of no front axles.

Looks like you could simply set the RX7 trans in where the suby is stock and the shifter would be right were its supposed to be stock.

Another thing....why not get a 13B w/trans and slide that in there?