Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(mileage check) Who's got the mileage record?

Not close to a record, but I have 190k on my '97 Legacy Brighton. Trading it this weekend for a '03 Forrester. New water pump, belts, sparks and wires when I did the 120000 timing belt, that's it. Oil every 3 to 5K. Original hoses. Always gets 25mpg.

Problems: Back hatch hasn't worked for a year. Noisy shifter. Original shocks died at 40k. Alt died around 100k. And like many Subes, there's a piece of black tape over the check engine light.

Living in NYC, repairs are very pricy, so I've been very happy. The '97 was my 3rd, I get them all up to 200k then find a 2 yr old off-lease.

Our 91 legacy is up to 236K +. I got at 112K ish, have done 2 clutches, 2 timing belts, some CV boots, valve cover gaskets, muffler, brakes, struts and 2 A/C compressor replacememnts. Most recent repair was new radiator, old one corroded through. Still my wifes daily driver, does not use any fluids except gas.

Guess i need to do the timing belt again at 240K-and prolly at 300K if it keeps running the way it is!

• 3 months later...

This thread is three months old, but I decided to chime in. My '93 Legacy has 208,000 miles and my son's '93 Legacy has 214,000 miles. Both are daily drivers and both are completely reliable and even still look good. The engines are original with just the normal maintenance. Out here on the left coast, we don't have to deal with salt on the roads, so rust isn't an issue. These cars have held up extremely well. They are tight and quiet and the paint is in good condition. Even the interiors are in good shape. We are very happy Subaru owners.

I haven't taken any pictures specifically of my car, but here's a picture I took of my house that has my car in the picture.

Michael

http://preyerplanning.com/images/houses/ours/24-house-from-lower-terrace.jpg

• 4 years later...

Both of the beater wagons I had were 280k +.

These were two wagons I bought as dedicated pine barrens machines.

The first, a 1997 Outback, had nearly 281k on the clock, and ran like a champ, though the headgaskets were completely shot. I sold it for parts when the trans started acting up.

The second was a 95 Brighton with about 297k on the clock. It was parted out when the clutch failed, and the body was... well... damaged. ;). I still have the motor and the suspension

My 97 OBW has about 145,000. I'm not really sure as the speedo was replaced with one that says 83K by the original owner. Last carfax record stated it was 144K around the Nov 08. I bought it around mid April '09. :banana::)

• 10 months later...

my 86 brat had 285,000 miles when i sold it. it got crashed and totaled afterward

i had a 95 'outback' wagon with 258,000 miles, sold it to some chick and someone else said they saw it running around a year later

my toyota camper has 305,000 miles on its original clutch, timing chain, and water pump. still have it.

do head gasket repairs count? seems to be routine versus bottom end rebuilds. i think a headgasket repair would qualify if the heads are the original ones, and the bottom end remained the same.

I sold my '91 Legacy wagon last year. I bought it with 112,000 miles in Jan of '97. I replaced axles a few times. Last time I replaced the timing belts I put on new oil pump, water pump and cam seals. All as preventative maint. I also replaced the 5spd AWD trans around 200k miles.

Sold last year with 264,000 miles and still running great.

do head gasket repairs count? seems to be routine versus bottom end rebuilds. i think a headgasket repair would qualify if the heads are the original ones, and the bottom end remained the same.

I don't think head gaskets should disqualify a car, not when it's such a commom problem. My 99 Legacy GT is an oil change away from 400,000KM (250000 miles, I think) It still has the original motor (new gaskets) and transmission, glass, lights, paint.... added wrx brakes and rebuilt the suspension. I worked for the railroad in Northern Ontario and used to get my WRC on with so many awesome, well groomed logging roads. At 340,000 kms the suspension didn't owe me anything. Car still looks great and runs like a clock. Maybe not a Swiss timepiece, but a reliable Casio anyhow.