Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T- Weird power loss, just cracked cross-over???

Just picked up a '90 Loyale Turbo (FT4WD 4AET), 218k+miles, discovered an odd problem. On first startup, lots of exaust noise... sounds like pre-turbo just based on sound. I figure probably cracked x-over pipe flange. Owner says that it has problem on hills, no power. OK, still sounds like x-over.

Get it our on the road, a little weak accelerating, loud exhaust, turbo light comes on late in rpm range 3000-ish.

Then, climbing up freeway onramp, around 45 mph WOT the car goes QUIET (almost zero exhaust noise). And power falls flat; not power-cut or misfire, just reatively steady and smooth low-power, with little response from throttle.

If terrain allowed, it would go easily to 80mph (I was tired and wasn't paying much attention to throttle being nearly floored following cresting hills). Drove this way for 200 miles, and got best gas mielage I have ever gotten out of a soob (guestimate around 34-36MPG).

Too tired, injured (freak scissors accident, can't keep my thumb from bleeding after 2 days :-\), lazy and rainy to start tearing into it today, but no visible telltales from veiwing top of turbo area.

Any thougths? Seized turbo? Plugged cat/exhaust? Just a broken x-over? It going quiet (well, -er) throws me.

Definatly sounds like a crossover problem. Ive had that happen 2 too many times.
So did yours go quiet, too? I know the Supertrapp on my Honda 400F is quieter with throttle than at idle... Same thing, lots of flow trying to get through thin gaps???

Thanks for the feedback!!! :banana:

So did yours go quiet, too? I know the Supertrapp on my Honda 400F is quieter with throttle than at idle... Same thing, lots of flow trying to get through thin gaps???

Thanks for the feedback!!! :banana:

It was strange at time when trying to build boost....the thing is really not that hard to take off....just get under there with the car running and see if you can find any leaks around the turbo side...from the head on up the up pipe area...there is where they break the most often.

Yeah, I've got a x-over pipe broken at the flange that I picked up from Austin (I requested a broken one! and he came through.) so I have seen the common break.

Its raining here and they are talking snow in the hills. Not having a garage is lame. (My wife is at visiting her brother at his new house: Two 3-car garages, and concrete apron for up to 12 more...) Mud and crushed rock for me.

well i don't have the lift or the digicam but i do have a 32' X 32' foot shop it is quite nice

Yeah, but is it climate controlled??? or do you just hose the floor in winter and go skating??? :lol:

Barracuda, I tried what you suggested (again, but this time with flashlight :lol: ). No obvious signs of exhaust, no carboning, no smoke, just noise. Maybe tomorrow I will try some oil/atf in the intake to use as a smoke marker. But I am pretty sure it is the x-over that is cracked. Just really thrown by things going quiet.

Thanks all!