Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

TB cleaning procedure??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_shortlid_*

Guest_shortlid_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2002 - 11:38 PM

Can the '98 EJ22 run with the air intake disconnected?? I know it will start but not idle with the smaller hose on the air intake disconnected. I need to clean the Throttle body with the aerosol TB cleaner but want to know how to do it on the Soob.

#2 Guest_SmashPDX_*

Guest_SmashPDX_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2002 - 11:59 PM

When my intake pipe fell off (ha ha, yeah it happened) my car pretty much died on the spot, whether under power or idle.

I seem to recall that the one time I had the spray TB thing done, back in my Iffy Lube days, they had the pipe disconnected at the intake plenum but never pulled it clear out of the engine bay. They kept the opening close to the plenum. That way they could continue to move air through the pipe, making the MAF happy, thus keeping the engine running.

Or at least that's how I remember it. It's been awhile since I had that done. But the intake-fell-off was 2-3 weeks ago and trust me my car was going *nowhere* :)

#3 Guest_Legacy777_*

Guest_Legacy777_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2002 - 06:30 AM

I'm telling you from extreme experience and messing with a high idle for over a month, trouble shooting, testing almost everything under the sun!.........DO NOT CLEAN THE TB!!!

Here is the reason why. The TB has a black goo or sealant that is put on during the final assembly and such. It is put around the edges of the throttle plate and TB. It helps seal the throttle plate and keep too much air going by. A certain percentage of air will seap by, that is just going to happen. However they test the TB and make it so they flow a certain amount with the throttle plate closed. The IAC valve is then what controls the idle speed when the throttle plate is closed.

When you clean all the sealant off.....the plate doesn't seal correctly, you get too much air, idle will be high.

Some of the first gen 2.2's had an idle air bypass screw. I found this screw after I had gotten another TB, however even with pinchin the air down....it still wasn't behaving correctly.

Here are some pics of the TB, so you can see the sealant.

New TB:
Posted Image

Old TB
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users