Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone had any experience with the Bajas? This is one of the few new cars I drool over--they seem like such a fun car to own/drive. Haven't heard much discussion about them, though. Consumer Reports, who usually gives Subaru high ratings, had marked the Baja lower on its dependability ranking but gave no reasons. Any word on the Baja? Any Baja owners here?

I like the Baja too, but I think we are in the minority. IMO, Subaru screwed up big time with their lame "switch back" mid-gate configuration. The original ST/X concept they were showing in 2000 was more like the Chevy Avalanche, i.e. the mid-gate was completely removable, so that large cargo (4'x8' sheet of plywood) could be carried there. Not sure why they wimped out and just put that little switchback door- could have been concerns about weather-tightness or noise.

If you like the Baja, you might want to plan on getting one soon. Rumor has it that 2005 is the last year for them.

Also, AFAIK, the Baja is a US-only model.

Some people on this board have complained about the lack of a D/R transfer case and 6-cyl engine, but I think Subaru made the right call on these. A 4-door Subaru pickup that gets 18 MPG has no inherent advantages over a 4-door Toyota pickup that gets 18 MPG, particularly when the Subaru is likely to be as expensive (or more expensive) than the Toyota.

Is the Baja made is the US, or are the Legacy cars the only US made Subaru?

I haven't test driven one yet. I drove an El Camino for years when I was in college and always like the truck-car drive. I'd always wishe there was a way to keep my truck-car and still haul a wife and 2 kids around. While the truck bed isn't a truck-ish as I'd like, the Baja is the a neat design.

Anything the talk of cutting out the Baja line? Are the sales not that good? I was disappointed with the lack of color options for '05...

Is the Baja made is the US, or are the Legacy cars the only US made Subaru?

I haven't test driven one yet. I drove an El Camino for years when I was in college and always like the truck-car drive. I'd always wishe there was a way to keep my truck-car and still haul a wife and 2 kids around. While the truck bed isn't a truck-ish as I'd like, the Baja is the a neat design.

Anything the talk of cutting out the Baja line? Are the sales not that good? I was disappointed with the lack of color options for '05...

The Baja is US made (as are, I think, all of the Legacy models sold in the US. I think the Impreza line/WRX are imported, and I'm not sure about the Forester.)

If you do a search, there was a thread that I posted on that linked to a Canadian message board, and that one had an article about the lackluster sales of the Baja. The good news (for buyers) is that the Baja's slow sales was compelling Subaru to offer some pretty good incentives and discounts.

I have had one for two week now and love it.

i have a 3 y/odaug who fit in the back fine my is n/a and i do wish it had more power but hay reg fuel and better milage sealed the deal agaist the turbo.

i would buy this again in a heart beat

dark on light silver mud flaps and bed ext.

21,900 out the door what a deal..

ps if you optioned out the toy it would be more expensive..