Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'97 Legacy Brighton Wagon

The connector for my passenger side headlight melted.

I have only run standard suggested bulbs but this one always seemed to lose the low beams long before the driver-side.

Local (No Va) dealership ( dodge/kia/subaru ..in that order) says that the entire bulkhead harness has to be replaced and that the part alone is $462. ridiculous.

I have read through a lot of the posts here and I am getting the impression that a mechanic should be able to just splice on a connector.

My questions:

1. How do I locate such a mechanic?

2. Is it dangerous to do such a splice?

3. Would this be only a quick fix and eventually I will need to replace entire thing?

4. Does that price quote sound reasonable?

5. How long would it take a decent mechanic to replace the whole thing?

Thanks fellas,

~~fransi

ps... no I will not do this myself LOL.

You may be able to get a replacement from a local salvage yard. You should be able to splice a replacement in. If you feel up to it you should try doing it yourself.

If I was doing this I would try using some none insulated butt splices and solder the wires to it and use heatshrink over the splice, then tape over all the connections. This is a pretty simple job so I wouldn't be afraid to do this if I were you. If you just don't want to do this yourself you should be able to contact a shop that does automotive electrical work and let them do it.