Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'97 2.5 GT - '93 Leg. BIG QUESTION

I don't really care about the OBDI vs. OBDII questions, as long as it would run. Do you think the sensors being different will be an insurmountable problem? gt is 1997 legacy, 1993 is a legacy sedan. I am not even sure what to consider due to the fact on is automatic (93) and one is standard (97), but the tranny in '97 is good, so that can stay I think? yes?

Is it a 97 gt, or 94 gt? I'm assuming 97.

The engine will physically bolt in, however some of the sensors and such have changed, so that may cause some issues. Also, the 93 engine setup is OBD1, and the 97 is OBD2.

This issue is a little more complicated regarding the OBD. OBD2 was implemented to standardized everything. Emission places now just plug into the computer, so the car needs to stay OBD2.

I know for a fact the idle air control valve has changed over the years, there may be a few other issues with wiring and such. Are they show-stopper issues. I don't really know. If you got the time to try it, go for it.

Yeah the tranny will work fine with the 2.2

I understand the need for OBD2. But the '93 would pass emmissions too. So one way or another that part may work. I also wonder how the ECM would work with that engine. Would it understand it at all? I wish I could just trash all that electronic stuff, and run a car the way they used to. One thing I realy do not have it time. The '97 is my wheels, I have two teenagers who need to be driven everywhere. I log up to 1,000 miles a week. Gotta keep downtime to a minimal.

What do you think about replacing engine vs. fixing head gasket?

Thanks, L

This issue is a little more complicated regarding the OBD. OBD2 was implemented to standardized everything. Emission places now just plug into the computer, so the car needs to stay OBD2.

I know for a fact the idle air control valve has changed over the years, there may be a few other issues with wiring and such. Are they show-stopper issues. I don't really know. If you got the time to try it, go for it.

Yeah the tranny will work fine with the 2.2

josh - thanks for that input. It is the way I am leaning. My gut feeling is that I should try and fix the '97, but I cannot do the head gasket myself. It'll have to go to a garage.......and what if the head is cracked? then I will have just screwed myself. Also, I've got 96K miles on it, aren't more things going to fall apart? But, god, how I love that car.

I'd probably just replace the headgasket. Far easier IMO then doing the motor swap and trying to deal with the issues that could arise.

If the motors were both new gen motors doing the motor swap might be easier....