Ultimate Subaru Message Board

disty issue? I think?

I seem to be having some ignition issues or something on my brat, question is can you swap EA82 disty into EA81 car? and are there timing differences betweeen cars like 2wd - 4wd or say solid lifter motor to hydaulic lifter motor all EA81 that is? I put a electro disty on a 81 EA81 that had the little igniter box on coil, I changed both coil and disty but seem to be going backwards fast :mad: I cant find timing marks while timing and have turned 180 degrees too.. its running but seems to be getting worse the more I drive it, thought maybe disty I put in was shot, I have some EA82 disty's and was curios to their ability to swap in.

well I put new wires and cap and rotor in and that improved things quite a bit but there is still a considerable power shortage compared to last motor, it's like it doesnt want to pull up into the high R's under a load. sitting idle I can rev up to redline no problem, but when running down road it wont get past 5G which is 500 or so R's below redline. It also creates a slight surging at the upper end when running on highway. could the modules inside disty be weak or something? and I havent checked yet but I was wondering about air getting sucked in at base of carb, when I swapped carbs.One other thing when idling the tach does a little jumping, not consistantly but when it does it usually jumps 3-500 rpm's :confused::banghead: I would really like to make this thing run better cause snow is comin soon and I dont want to find myself stranded somewhere.MORE ADVISE PLEASE :)

• 1 year later...

Not sure, but sounds a bit similar to problem I just had.

Swapped disty and it started right up. Took it on the road and seemed fine, but no power.

Long story short, Thought I had pull off and puit back in disty in same spot. On #1. But I had the disty in one gear off. Pulled up disty, moved just that 1/4" - 1/2" over put back in.

Does that make sense?