Ultimate Subaru Message Board

installed oil cooler, got leak somewhere EDIT-FOUND problem! EA82 guys help me solve!

I installed an oil cooler on my XT Turbo, I figured it would be a good insurance policy to keep my engine & turbo happy...

After installing it, I went for a little drive and everything seemed fine, but when I got home, I noticed that there was a puddle of oil on the floor :rolleyes: Upon further inspection, it was obvious that it is leaking somewhere, there was oil spatter on the underbody of my car.

I check the oil level, and it was very very low :eek: I didn't hear any lifter tapping or knock or grinding, so I hope that the oil pressure didn't get low enough to cause any damage...

The fittings, hoses, and cooler itself are all squeaky clean, so I don't see how it is leaking from there. I used thread sealant on the fittings... It is oily between the adapter and the oil pump, but I was careful to install and lubricate the o-ring and it's on tight... maybe too tight? The oil filter is hand tight on the adapter as well. Anyone have any experience with a problem like this?

Well, I found the problem.

Turns out the filter I was using, a Purolator PureOne 24457, has a gasket that is too small in diameter to work with this oil cooler sandwich adapter.

Here is a picture to illustrate:

oilfilter.jpg

The red outline is where the gasket of my oil filter lands.

You can see, the squared area of the cavity is protruding past the gasket covering of the oil filter, causing a rather nasty leak. When I start my car, oil SPURTS out like crazy!

I'm wondering if there is another filter I can buy that has a slightly larger diameter gasket, or if they are all the same. Is there a physically larger filter that will fit (same threads) a EA82?

I'm wondering if there is another filter I can buy that has a slightly larger diameter gasket, or if they are all the same. Is there a physically larger filter that will fit (same threads) a EA82?

First, there almost certainly is one that has same threads but larger diameter gasket. I don't know off hand which one, but some hunting through Wal-Mart or similar place might turn up something.

That being said, I have seen a lot of comments in posts about the importance of getting the proper filter for the subes. Not quite sure if this has to do with anti-drainback checkvalves or something else. Again, somebody who knows what they are talking about should really answer this question.

One question that I DO have is: What does the sealing surface on the oil-pump side of this adapter look like? Normally, the sealing areas are identical or at least very similar. It is intended to replace a particular diameter filter, so both sides usually match. I would be worried if this one is different. If it is different, then I would expect the instructions to say what filter it takes. Just something to check...

try a napa gold (I've heard not to use anything but napa GOLD filters if you use a napa filter) 1515, you should be able to get your parts place to cross refrence the filter number. I think my guy said ford/mazda, I just don't remember the years or models.

that looks like one of those bigass filters. i have one on my ea82 wagon, it uses a filter from a ford turbo diesel. i think its a p1 pennsoil... pretty much the biggest filter for a ford truck. same treads as the subaru, but alot bigger gasket sealing area.

Did you just say pennsoil, ford, and subaru all in the same post?

I dunno if we can be friends any more... :lol:

Thanks again WJM!

I installed the NAPA 1361 and it doesn't leak. Well, actually, it leaks just a teeensy bit, so I might get an O-ring or something....

Car now seems to run about 180-185 deg. as opposed to 200-205... I wonder if that's too cold? It was a cool night out, but I was getting on it.... Anyway I guess my turbo will be loving the combination of mobil 1, cooled oil :brow:

Thanks again WJM!

I installed the NAPA 1361 and it doesn't leak. Well, actually, it leaks just a teeensy bit, so I might get an O-ring or something....

Car now seems to run about 180-185 deg. as opposed to 200-205... I wonder if that's too cold? It was a cool night out, but I was getting on it.... Anyway I guess my turbo will be loving the combination of mobil 1, cooled oil :brow:

That temp is PERFECT! Mine runs that as well...and Ive got a big rad and an even more radical oil cooler setup.

In my experience...ANY oil filter is going to leak a teeny bit on a SUBARU...i dont know why...but as long as its not dripping at all...just a teeny bit...id not worry about it.