Ultimate Subaru Message Board

exhaust leak

:mad: After swapping motors I have aquired a serious leak do to the fact that the new motor did not have the spacer for emissions on it and my exhaust is strained because of clearance issues, there is no clearance it hits crossmember and still wont seat up. Can a serious leak affect performance? other than noise? I put a custom y-pipe with no cat and now with leak it seems to be having issues. I know the path to getting leak fixed it,s just going to be a bit before I can afford the time and was curious?

It's definatly not a good thing to be leaking exhuast right at the heads there. Cuases all kinds of heat stress on surrounding areas. I melted a hole through one of my old timing belt covers this way and darn near melted a timing belt! That is some HOT HOT HOT stuff shooting out there; not good. You are also loosing a lot of power there; just blowing your torque right out the window.

I would either get them spacers or re route the exhuast accordingly quickly.

Yeah, I figured that it was prob your brat or you would have known.

I got a dumb idea... Dumb 'cuz it is prob more expensive and time consuming then just fixing the problem. How about stacking a couple gaskets together? Wouldn't be perfect, wouldn't last, kinda pricey.

I am assuming that your long term fix involves re-installing the emissions spacer?

yea I've got a set of spacers that I'm puttin back in and welding the emissions hole shut, I'm hopin this will cure some of top end issues 55-60mph top speed :mad:

You mean that you think this exhaust leak is causing your top end issues? If so, I strongly doubt it. Thinking timing/tuning/filter for something like that. Exhaust leaks on a n/a car should have hardly any effect on power; probably more of a help at speed than a hindrance.

Was the emissions spacer for air induction or for EGR? If EGR, how did you handle the intake side (or was it not present to begin with)?

You mean that you think this exhaust leak is causing your top end issues? If so, I strongly doubt it. Thinking timing/tuning/filter for something like that. Exhaust leaks on a n/a car should have hardly any effect on power; probably more of a help at speed than a hindrance.

Was the emissions spacer for air induction or for EGR? If EGR, how did you handle the intake side (or was it not present to begin with)?

An major exhuast leak right at the heads there will indeed kill your low end torque and will not improve your top end horse power on any engine.

I run those spacers on my EA82 cuz I could only find an EA81 Y pipe. I had to get rid of all my custom setups cuz they all sucked. Just hammer those EGR lines flat and weld them shut. Also get new gaskets as those that are leaking right there are prolly shot now or on their way out. Don't need any gasket between spacer and heads.

Good luck!