Ultimate Subaru Message Board

please help! total electrical system failure

Hello,

I'm getting frustrated and hope someone has ideas. Last night most of the electrical system on my 94 loyale wagon failed. Nothing works except for interior light, key chime, door locks, hazard flashers, parking lights (only when switch on steering column turned on) and horn.

I've got no headlights, ignition, starter, dash lights, fuel pump, dash buttons etc.

I've checked everything I can think of- all fuses,fusable links, battery and terminals, grounds, wire plugs-- can't find the problem.

Any ideas? I'm a pretty good amatuear mechanic and I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance

Doug Davis

Yea, I think you are right. Any trick way to check that without taking the steering column apart? I'm wondering if there is someplace I can jump to bypass the switch that is easier to get to.

Thanks, Doug

That clip-on lead on the starter isn't supposed to be hot. It's the "start" lead for the starter solenoid.

Your symptoms sound as if the ignition switch has failed.

Problem solved. The connector plug between wire harness and ignition switch was lose. Maybe I dislogded it with my foot while driving.

Thanks all for the help,

Doug

Yea, I think you are right. Any trick way to check that without taking the steering column apart? I'm wondering if there is someplace I can jump to bypass the switch that is easier to get to.

Thanks, Doug