Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Engine light and fuel system pressure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ashton_subaru

ashton_subaru

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ottawa

Posted 18 October 2004 - 12:42 PM

Hi ,

I have a 2001 Forester (120000km) that is exibiting frequent engine light issues. I can clear the light by taking the gas cap off and re-inserting it. I have changed the cap but it has not fixed the problem. Subaru indicates it is a fuel tank pressure issue "somewhere in the system". The car was hit in the rear two years ago and repaired by Subaru.

Is there anyone with fuel tank/system experience that could give me some ideas of what to check in the system?

Thanks,
Bill

#2 jcniest5

jcniest5

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • The Twin Cities

Posted 18 October 2004 - 03:18 PM

It's probably the fuel pump assembly/pressure regulator all going bad. In that case, replacing it will fix your problem. Probably there was such a shock during your crash that the whole is now going.

#3 legacy2.5

legacy2.5

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • madison

Posted 18 October 2004 - 03:28 PM

have you hooked your computer up to a scanner to find out what code is being set. i would retrieve the code and go from there before you just start replacing parts. once the code is pulled you will have an idea where to start looking.

It's probably the fuel pump assembly/pressure regulator all going bad. In that case, replacing it will fix your problem. Probably there was such a shock during your crash that the whole is now going.

#4 ashton_subaru

ashton_subaru

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ottawa

Posted 18 October 2004 - 03:54 PM

I have not yet bit the bullet and brought it to the dealer . As I understand they are the only ones that can trouble shoot this as it invloves turning on and off solenoids to pin point the problem .

I was just wondering if any one else has experienced this kind of behaviour ?

Bill

#5 babusha

babusha

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Santa Clara

Posted 18 October 2004 - 11:03 PM

Add one more to it! Mine is Forester '01 model, 58K miles. "Engine Check" indicator displayed a couple of weeks ago. The most I could do after reading the user's manual was to check the fuel tank door switch/fuel tank cap. While attempting to check the switch, I released the switch from its holder ( plastic outer covering/lining around the fuel door) and it fell down the cavity, and I left it there as such! But, after a couple of days, the indicator turned off by itself for a week or so only to return after that! I'm still wondering if the fuel cap has anything to do with it, even though I tightened it properly. Also, wonder if the switch by the fuel door has anything to do with it. I retrieved the switch from the cavity today, and on inspection, I wondered if it has any tubing at the rear for pressure sensing/release? If so, I could not find any tubing attached to it! And, if not, what is the function of the switch itself?! Could some one adrress it??? Sorry I could not come up with an answer to the original question...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users