Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

4eat how good?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_Chromonica270_*

Guest_Chromonica270_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2002 - 08:18 PM

Legacy777, questions about one of your posts -

You said the earlier generation 4eats had problems. How do I know if mine is an earlier generation?

Regarding the valve spring that wears out - Can it be replaced w/o major work? If so, how would one know that it's wearing out?

Thanks,
Kent

#27 Guest_Legacy777_*

Guest_Legacy777_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2002 - 11:05 PM

Kent,

When I say early gen.....I mean mainly 90-92....possibly up to 94. They have an external filter add-on kit, it's just below the battery on the frame rail.

I don't think you can change the spring/valve without taking out the valve body.....in any case....it's probably a major case.

I really don't 100% for sure.....but I am pretty sure.

#28 Guest_wawazat_*

Guest_wawazat_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2002 - 11:03 PM

The 4EAT was based on a Nissan (used in the Villager/Quest) design also sold to Mazda for the MPV. Subaru adapted it for use with the AWD system in the SVX and Legacy. As stated it is marginal with the HP and torque of the EG33 engine and fails due to heat (major cause of auto box failures). SVX used an in-radiator cooler and early versions (mostly '92) did not have the filter mentioned above. This was added during a recall campaign in the early/mid '90's. Ours was replaced free of charge in '95 and the filter was added. The filter was added to reduce the possibility of clutch material finding its way into the cooler and blocking flow, reducing the life of the trans.

Rebuild and replacement costs vary significantly even when handled by dealerships. SVX Network site shows figures of $1700-3000 for a rebuild and $2200-$4600 for a Subaru installed reman. The next step for mine (trans #6, first five destroyed by reason OTHER than heat ie, towing, emission check on 2 wheel dyno, above noted recall) is a manula transmission swap. Small Car, a shop on the west coast has converted a couple of cars so far and has also installed the EG33 into VW Vanagon Syncro's. There site is www.smallcar.com Very cool stuff.

#29 Guest_wawazat_*

Guest_wawazat_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2002 - 11:07 PM

Huckster, another SVX owner here has also converted his SVX from auto to manual. Didn't want to forget about his efforts here.

#30 Guest_wrxsubaru_*

Guest_wrxsubaru_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2002 - 01:01 AM

he wrote up how the manule was put in the svx, sorry dont remeber who tho???

#31 Guest_r32657_*

Guest_r32657_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2002 - 12:57 PM

Someone was asking about what truck the 4eat is used in, according to the SVX site below, the Pathfinder uses the 4eat.

www.subarusvx.com/index.html

#32 Guest_bbitner_*

Guest_bbitner_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2002 - 01:22 AM

The 4eats in probes are lucky if they last 60k miles. And the probe is rated at 170HP and about 20ft pounds of torque. Got to be one of the slowest cars made. A trans cooler and Amsoil is a must.

#33 Guest_Legacy777_*

Guest_Legacy777_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2002 - 04:03 PM

Russ....this puppy is probably ready for archiving now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users