Ultimate Subaru Message Board

all members with ea82 lifted with seperate t-case

subaruloverbrad

Just wanting to see how many and what options others have used parts wise before starting my 1989 gl.

Subarulover Brad

Black Widow

5 speed dual range, spfi

soon mods: 6 inch lift, 32 inch swampers, front & rear lsd 3.70/maybe 3.90, rear disk, half doors, custom bumpers, custom frame, 6 lug conversion, samy transfer case?, custom driveshafts?

nissan case is most popular, shares subaru flanges, up and down design is ideal for independant front/rear or ifs/solid rear apps. Downside is that its pretty tall, you need an 8" lift to give it appropriate hight, though I suppose you could cut up the tranny tunnel to get it higher.

I used a lada niva transfer case. It features a high range reduction of 1.2 which helps gearing with big tires, shares subaru flanges, low range 2:1 reduction. You you have to cut the tunnel to fit it, but once its in there it fits up tight. Also not upright design, outputs are offset, which works fine but looks funny. Forgot to mention it has a center diff you can unlock for running 4wd on pavement then lock for the tough stuff. Edit: Nivas were never sold in the US (its a russian built 4x4) so it might be out of the question for you.

Samurai case does not share subaru flanges so you have to figure out driveshafts. But it has a range of aftermarket support (ie 4:1, 6:1, and 8:1 gearsets). Also features enough high range reduction so that acceleration will be nearly stock when you are running 31s. It also has offset outputs but can be clocked to go straight up and down, with a loss in ground clearance of course.

Edit: As far as I know I'm the only person with a t-cased ea82. Beware that putting a rear diff into the front suspension is much harder than on an ea81 because of the orientation of the suspension arms. The axles from the diff will interfere with the stock ea82 arms. If you want to do less lift than 10" (required to let the axles go over the suspension arms) you will have to do alot of work to the suspension. I managed to fit the diff in a 6" lift by moving the crossmember 3" forward, then making custom suspension arms that angle back. Tons of work. Other than that the whole thing goes pretty much the same as an ea81 job.

MTSFABMAN has a t-case XT-6 in Eugene Oregon.

Bill

Id like to see that one, is it still independent? Yep you are right about front lift,but I think i might be able to get it to work...............tight clearences....Boy an ea81 is easier. hopeing to do 32 or 33 with cutting beating and 6 incher. also hope to be done by end of the month. Rear looks easy enough. Will share pics when completed, will make t case work! cut floor if needed, did an ea81 and had it almost in back seat lol.

With the 6" on my wagon and the wheelbase extended 1" in the front, I hardly needed any firewall massaging, just fender trimming. I think you could get a 32, but a 33 is pushing it considering its also alot wider. A 33x9.5 might work. I find that stock toyota 15x7 rims are almost perfect for fitting tires onto the front. Just the right offset.

the nissan for your purpose is plenty doable if not just perfect. what was done to my transfer case was to remove the top mount and fab it down lower so it could be stuffed in the tunnel.

as for gear reduction kits and using the sami tcase... i wouldn't recomend using a gear reduction kit unless you were using way stronger axles or go solid on your axles. just with 31" tires and a nissan i've broken several diff stub axles... i was originally going to go with larger tires... but these diffs really are not strong enough to handle them in difficult offroad situations. this is one reason when i get home i have a toyota axle going in the rear of my car. if you are planning on being easy on the gas on and offroad and baby it. you shouldn't have much of a problem off road or on road with 31"s. get into the more difficult side of wheeling where the tcase isn't just show anymore... solid axles or a reduction of tire size will be wanted. not because of gearing. but because the amount of multiplication of torque to the wheels starts snapping stuff.

with the 5 speed d/r it proposed a few problems. we had to bend or flip the shift linkage so it wasn't in the way of the drive shaft.

also i have an 8" lift and the tires just sit in there perfect.

just my 2 cents.