Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ten years or roughly 125k miles. API approved engine oil and regular maintenance on things like plugs, fuel and filters, will probably keep it working well for as long as possible.

It may well lose its capacity to "clean" the exhaust, but show no real signs of it.

Excess unburnt fuel kills cats. I have never had a cat fail, and I take my cars to 200k+. The key is keeping the car tuned up. O2 sensor(s), ignition components, filters, PCV valve, injector cleaner. That should keep the cats meowing 'till the cows come home.

The API oil thing is only an issue if the car is burning a lot of oil. The API limits the amount of certain metallic additives an oil can have, as the metals can harm the cats. Zinc and phosphorus come to mind. Diesel oils have high concentrations of these additives and can supposedly harm the cats in bad oil burners.

Edit: spelling/typos

Guest Vickaroo

Ok I know nothing on the tech. works of the cats... But when I saw the post I was going to put a cute pun in here but brus brother and 99obw beat me to it....:brow: Glad to see Im not the only nut on here that likes to laugh.... Vicky