Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt/chain on EA-71

Ok...now I am officially doudly confused. The guy at the local auto parts store told me there is no timing belt on an ea-71. Is this true? I am so new to this I don't know if I trust that.

Thanks again, Matt

It is a chain (*EDIT - This is wrong: its gears. See next post. END EDIT*), as is the later/larger EA81. Timing belts are used on the EA82 engines and newer. This is one reason why the ea71/81s are liked by people who need rugged engines... no belt worries.

do you new guys just refuse to search? must you make a new thread for a simple question? I mean we all were new once and all but still

no it does not have a timing belt or chain, it uses gears. just like the EA-81, but the EA-82 does in fact use timing belts

do you new guys just refuse to search? must you make a new thread for a simple question? I mean we all were new once and all but still

no it does not have a timing belt or chain, it uses gears. just like the EA-81, but the EA-82 does in fact use timing belts

Every time I have posted here I have searched first. Just trying to learn.

Thanks for the answers.

Matt

Sorry, brain-fart. You are right about the gears, of course.

As far as Search, I was in charge of programming a search engine for 10 years. I STILL have not figured out how to get this one to work beyond simple-term search.

:grin: one time when I was bored, I called the parts store for an ea81 timing belt he said his dad worked on subarus, and he would look for one

I call him the next day and he can't find one :lol:

I may have been too scatter-brained to think through my response, but you are just SICK and CRUEL!!! :lol: Torture puppies and blondes, do you?