Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet another HG question (have mercy on a newbie)

I just got a great deal (I think) on a 2000 Outback Limited Wagon. Its had no problems as of yet, has impeccable service records, and there are no coolant leaks. It has a 2.5L SOHC engine. It still needs the recall serviced for the engine (I assume its the one with the Stop-Leak additive to the coolant.) The car has 135000 highway miles (mostly between Vermont and Florida, several times a year). Here are my questions:

1.) Do all 2.5L SOHC engines have the gasket problem? The local dealer (not associated with this sale in any way) said that most of the engines that are going to have a problem develop it by $100k.

2.a.) Should I go ahead and get my head gaskets replaced?

2.b.) If so, how much will I have to pay for that?

3.) Was $6k too much to pay for this thing?

4.) Are there any other problems on this model I should look out for?

Thanks for any wisdom. I'm looking forward to as many miles as I can get out of this thing.

- J

all you need is to go to the dealer and get a can of goop added. All the phase 2 does is make a small water leak to the outside and the goop should stop it before it starts.

Is it manual or automatic? I had some clutch problems with my 99 Forester and so did some other folks.

1.) Do all 2.5L SOHC engines have the gasket problem? The local dealer (not associated with this sale in any way) said that most of the engines that are going to have a problem develop it by $100k.

2.a.) Should I go ahead and get my head gaskets replaced?

2.b.) If so, how much will I have to pay for that?

3.) Was $6k too much to pay for this thing?

4.) Are there any other problems on this model I should look out for?

Thanks for any wisdom. I'm looking forward to as many miles as I can get out of this thing.

- J

1 It is the 96-99 Phase I that have HG issues. 2000 Phase II they fixed the issue, now they only have a possible external leak.

2.a No

2.b HG are generally $1200 to replace, but see 1

3. Seems like a good price to me, at least for CO standards

4. Possible Brake issues, they made larger brakes for 2002 models because of warping.

Auto - could have some issues.

Manual some clutch shutter, get the revised clutch and flywheel.

Welcome to the club!!

1. The dealer advice sounds reasonable.

2. No use in paying for an expensive job until you really have to. Just keep an eye out for signs of any problems.

3. Great price. This will give you some room to pay for gaskets or whatever is needed down the road. A couple of years from now you will know how good the price really was.

4. Change the oil, coolant, and fluids with the correct replacements and time schedule.

Enjoy the ride. Drive on!