Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tires for 2003 Outback Wagon

Hi, I'm looking for good all season tires for my Outback Wagon. I want something with good traction that goes well in the snow and rain. The stock tires wore well but didn't have very good snow traction. Any suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!

Hi, I'm looking for good all season tires for my Outback Wagon. I want something with good traction that goes well in the snow and rain. The stock tires wore well but didn't have very good snow traction. Any suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!

I am getting these Nokian WR, sound like great 50k tire.

Read this

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8166&page=5&highlight=snow+tires

I just put Michelin Hydro-Edge on my 2000 Legacy, & so far they are great. Designed primarily for rain, they're also supposed to be pretty good in light snow, which is about all I expect to get here (Vancouver, B.C.).

Check out tirerack.com for more tire reviews than you can shake a stick at...

Leroy

Ditto on HydroEdge. I've had them for 26K miles so far, including last Winter. Best passenger car tires I've ever had.

They are good in snow, haven't had any problems. I considered dedicated snows but they don't seem to be as good in rain or last as long.

They are good in snow, haven't had any problems. I considered dedicated snows but they don't seem to be as good in rain or last as long.

Yea that was my dilemma also. I was going to get a 2nd set of Dedicated snow but after reading this http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm I am ordering these since it is the only non-snow tire with severe service emblem (a snowflake on a mountain) on the sidewall. And has a 50k warrantee.

I'm a new Subie owner, 2001 Outback LTD wagon.

I freaked out when I realized it ran on 225/60/16 tires... and 97H softness rating, so only certain tires were appropriate for this car...

Bottom line, I bought 4 BF Goodrich Touring T/A HR4's at Sam's Club... $391 out the door (including $36 mount & taxes). I was going to go with a higher mileage rated and more expensive tire, but the guy told me the tires were too hard and were not recommended for Subarus.

I then researched the tires online (something I normally do before I buy things), and was reassured that they are a good tire.

And then it rained here in Northern California, and I decided to put them to the test. They are GREAT tires, I loved their dry traction and the wet is excellent as well. I'm not sure they qualify as a true "all season" tire, but they are M+S rated, very quiet, and have exceptional handling. Night and day difference from the factory Firestones.

Just my 2 cents,

~onlinegemini

I put a set of the new Goodyear TripleTred all season tires on my '99 OBW about 5,000 miles ago. I live in Oregon (spelled R-A-I-N country), and couldn't be more satisfied.

Noticed that you live in the Rochester NY area... I am having some issues with tires for my 01 Outback Wagon. I have had nothing but trouble with getting a good set. The OEM tires were slashed at about 30K, bought some Dunlop SP Sport A2's. Terrible. After about 9k, and rotating SEVERAL times, gave up on them, they sounded like a turbo prop plane... I got a free set of Uniroyal American Gold as the replacement from Dunn's and they have their issues too. Just had to replace 2 because 1 had a high spot on the outside. The remaining have 7/32'nd left, but feel as if they are starting the same thing as the others. Where did you get your Traction T/A's ?? How have they lasted ??

I am another strong supporter of the Traction T/As from Goodrich. Have had them on 2 subies, 3 Maximas, and 1 Corolla. Never felt a better-handling tire - awesome for the price too. Can't go wrong.