Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CHECK ENGINE and VDC OFF lights on 2001 Outback VDC

Hi gurus,

I just took my 2001 Outback VDC in for her 60K-mile service. I got the car back with the "CHECK ENGINE" and "VDC OFF" lights on and constant when I turn on the car. The car seems to drive fine, but I want to be sure that I'm not doing any damage to the car by driving around with these alarms.

What happened? The mechanic said that he disconnected the battery (for safety reasons) in order to replace the fuel filter, and that it was probably the computer reset that was causing the lights to be on. He told me to bring it back to reset the computer again.

Is it possible that he messed something up when he replaced the spark plugs, or some other service that he performed as part of the 60k-mile service that I received?

Thanks in advance!

Jed (gogo)

Was this a subaru dealer? Or just some mechanic?

It doesn't sound like the mechanic knows what's going on. You can take your car to autozone and have them read the codes in the engine. See what codes are in there, and if they are related to the work the mechanic did, or something completely different.

Thanks for the reply. It was my "trusted" mechanic, who forgot to check for dashboard codes. I took it back to him today, and he read the codes. Seems that a connector hadn't been reattached, and that the computer just needed to be reset.

All OK now. :-)

Was this a subaru dealer? Or just some mechanic?

It doesn't sound like the mechanic knows what's going on. You can take your car to autozone and have them read the codes in the engine. See what codes are in there, and if they are related to the work the mechanic did, or something completely different.