Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle Battery

Guest Legacy777

I don't know about peter, but I did not get this battery for cca, I got it for it's deep cycle capacity and the fact it can be charged back fully, even if it is completely discharged. I have a very high wattage/draw stereo system, and I have noticed a difference in the way it sounds. I was talked out of this battery once. I wasn't goin to be talked out of it a second time. Sure there were other batteries that were cheaper, and still very good batteries, but for my needs, and performance desires out of the battery. This is what I choose after doing research

Guest subyroo

I only purchased my battery after researching the internet and from past experiences with the batteries we get here in OZ.

Generally when you buy a new car here in the Tropics, the battery will last 3 - 4 yrs. After you replace the battery they appear to last 2 maybe 3 yrs.

The gel battery maybe overpriced by your standards, BUT, if mine lasts 10 yrs then I will have paid for it and without the hassle of having to check the water levels or worrying about it turning over my Suby in the cold during winter, yes it does get cold in the tropics 3 - 5 deg C.

"If the USA emergency services use these batteries then that must also be a big plus on the reliability side as far as I am concerned.

The following is a testimonial from the USA:

"I believe these batteries have evolved into a very good cold weather battery as our vehicles crank over well in temperature extremes down to -50°F. Also, no problems have occurred from summer heat. Since 1987, 50 of the original 65 are still in service."

Bob Baker

Vehicle Shop Foreman, Winter Park Resort, Colorado

This testimonial was the one that swayed me the most into buying the Optima.

I say "there are horses for courses and sauces for courses" or "to each his own."

Peter

Guest bajavwnsoobnut

I didn' read all the posts but oh well I do have a red top in my 86 GL Wagon that I bought for my old bug I used to have then I put it into my 91 Loyale for the heck of it and then moved it over to my GL thinking it would help cause I had some electrical problems but those are great cause it won't leak at all (basicaly goodbye to rust!!!!) and have 800 CCA even if you drain the battery by forgeting to turn off the lights (OOPS!) lol anywho they are worth every penny (and I got it when I still worked at Wilco farmers and had a employee discount on it which costed me about $97 hehe) and for qman those are defanately a must for the hatch patrolers hehe

Guest BadDogg2001

I guess to each their own...I think though that if I had a super high drain (like a monster stereo for instance) I would opt for a secondary battery (mounted securely in the trunk) connected by an isolater. This way a guy doesn't have to go looking for a jump (boost) after the party, if ya know what I mean. And your alternator will recharge the secondary battery every time you drive and you could boost your own car if the need arose.

By the way, Josh, I really like what you've done with your Legacy, it looks sweet man!

Guest Legacy777

Thanks BadDogg2001!!

Other reasoning, which get's more difficult to explain for this battery, is the type of power it delivers. It is a very clean power source. It's like a good amplifer compared to a so-so amplifer. The so-so will work fine, but the good one will sound better, run cooler most of the time compared to the same usable output. I know the battery issue is not exactly the same, but I believe the basic principle is the same

Guest MKIVSupra

I just replaced my Red Top Optima after only a year and a half. It no longer holds a charge. If you go a couple weeks without driving your car the battery will die. This has been the case with a couple other people I know that tried Optimas. If you drive your car everyday then you might not have a problem.

I forgot to mention this battery was in my Supra, which I don't drive everyday, not my Legacy.

Guest Legacy777

That is a Red top, not a yellow top. They are two completely different batteries. Personally I feel that noone that drives a day to day car needs a Red top. The red top battery is meant for engines that need LOTS of CCA's. For normal cars you don't need that.

The Yellow top is more suited for day to day use. It has more CCA's then most batteries. Yet it is a deep cycle battery. Which means you can drain the puppy deader than a door nail, and recharge it to full capacity. Also they will retain a charge for a very long time when unused, as well as under loads.

Each of Optima's batteries serve a different purpose, you just have to get one that is right for your application. For normal use the yellow top is the one to get.

My car has sit for 2 weeks plus at a time without being started, and it cranks right up.

Guest MKIVSupra

I see now after checking the Optima page you posted in your first post, I prolly should have gone with a yellow top since the car it was in can sit for a long period of time especially during the winter with the alarm on. It said this can damage a red top. I was recommended a red top since I don't really have any aftermarket alarms or stereo equipment. I was not told anything about the car sitting for a while. Oh well. I would try a yellow top, but I already got an Interstate. Thanks for the info anyway.