Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carb Vs Turbo Long Block

everything will bolt up. Be careful aobut timing and run premium gas.

the only mod is the rear block PCV vent is not present on CARB/SPFI blocks...so you will ahve to block that off for the turbo stuff on the manifold. Easy peasy fix.

I don't want to sound like a naysayer, but for the sake of informedness and since there is the possibility that I could pursue a similar setup in the near future, what is the longest that one of these turbo-on-carb-block engines has held together? The most long-lived one I know of is WJM's, which was good for something like 20k.

A little clarification

The turbo stuff will NOT bolt on to a carb long block.

It will however, work on a carb shortblock.

You need to use the turbo heads and associated stuff.

Oh, i missed that LONG/SHORT block part...NO..wont fit LONG block...but will SHORT block.

I don't want to sound like a naysayer, but for the sake of informedness and since there is the possibility that I could pursue a similar setup in the near future, what is the longest that one of these turbo-on-carb-block engines has held together? The most long-lived one I know of is WJM's, which was good for something like 20k.

24k miles.

s_s: Yes, 9.5:1 as compared ot 8.5:1 is ALOT in turbo world....I still dont see how the shortblocks have different compression ratios....as the P#'s were the same the last time I looked them up....

s_s: Yes, 9.5:1 as compared ot 8.5:1 is ALOT in turbo world....I still dont see how the shortblocks have different compression ratios....as the P#'s were the same the last time I looked them up....

please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it mostly the pistons that create the compression differences.

No, the part numbers are different.. This came up a while back and I actually posted the part numbers. It is 100% the pistons that make the difference between the ranges of compression in EA82 motors. IIRC, I posted P/Ns for 1987, as it was the only full production year with all three fuels systems in the US.

Basically it is like this

Piston tops:

Turbo - concaved

carb - Flat

SPFI - convex

Gee, so if/when I build my turbo-on-SPFI-block, all I have to do is last more than 20k to be considered a success? :drunk: