Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fellers,

The dealer pulled codes and said I have a bad front pass side ABS sensor on my '92 SVX per the codes. The didn't take the sensor off to clean or look at it. The estimate about $300 to replace with labor and a new sensor at $149. I have tried to get the sensor off before with no luck. The bolt comes out easily but I can't dislodge the sensor itself. I can buy a new one for about $115 online, is there a secret to getting the sensor off?

BTW, i got an '03 Legacy sedan for a loaner and the acceleration is not impressive with the 2.5L.

thanks

Tdog67

i was able to do this on my 94' legacy, it sounds similar to what you discribed. i'f i'm correct, you removed the bolt, but could not budge the actual sensor. If you look at the part where the bolt is, in relation to the base that it is bolted to, you will see that there is a small gap between the two parts. if you slip the end of a screwdriver into this gap, and use the BFH to pound it in, it WILL move (i didn't believe it myself at first, it is EXTREMELY tight). eventually it will come all the way out, be careful not to grip the sides of the sensor with plyers or anything, to avoid damage. installation is the opposite of removal, i lined mine up and used a rubber mallett to carefully pound it in, again, very tight.

after this part is done you can trace the wire up to the wiring harness, and disconnect.

I got my replacement sensor at a junkyard, but thats up to you, i find the JY a good place to practice those things i'm not familiar with.

Feel free to post any other questions you may have, i'll moniter this thread...

Force be with you,

jared

If the sensor is truly bad, and you need a new one, the trick to getting them out is pretty much beating them out. If you can get at it from the other side you can beat it out. If not, you'll have to get creative with a chisel and punch, while not damaging the tone wheel.

I removed the abs sensors and tone wheels from the AWD rear hubs when I did my AWD & 5mt swap

you can see the tone wheel mess and such in some of these pics

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/images/swap/06/default.htm