Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 OB 2.5 HEAD GASKET? (new member)

Hello folks!

I was looking to confirm a possible HG failure

car overheated this morning (first time ever) while cresting the hill upon which i live. First noticed no heat comming from vents, and then saw the temp guage headed towards HOT.

Pulled car over, and shut down. NO coolent out tail pipe.

noticed, however, BLACK sludge/oil in coolent overflow. no bubbles, just black ooze. Coolent low in radiator, but no sludge noticed

car has 125k

Is it what i think it is??

any help would be appreciated.

I guess its the oil in overflow res, thats not making sence to me..I check over 50 previous posts and heard scant mention of such a strange thing.

The phase I 2.5 has an internal HG leak, you won't see coolant out the tail pipe.

The internal leak allows exhaust and oil to enter the system.

This happened to me as well. 97 OB. I have a very lengthy post on here about my experience.

Your symptoms are "classic" Phase I 2.5L internal head gasket failure.

I'm surprised that you didn't see bubbles. I'd look closer. You may not see them unless you have (just) had the engine under load. Eg, up a hill, towing, or highway driving. Just warming it up in your driveway may not create bubbles.

I had the "oil" in the coolant expansion bottle. In hindsight, it don't think it was really oil. That is, it was not engine oil. Rather, it is a sludge formed from the exhaust gases pushing/moving thru the coolant. Anti-freeze and engine oil are about 1/3 the same "stuff" after all. The oily sludge is a byproduct of the internal head gasket leak.

Sorry... You have a decision to make now.

Commuter

we had the same problem with Datsuns, Toyotas, and Mazdas about 1970. They even used to give you the neat mixture of oil and coolant in the expansion tank to clean up. last time I saw that was in my Datsun Z about 1980 the week before I put a Ford V8 in it.

The phase I 2.5 has an internal HG leak, you won't see coolant out the tail pipe.

The internal leak allows exhaust and oil to enter the system.

Thanks for the quick reply, and yes Commuter your original post was VERY informative, my episode seems to mirror yours almost exactly. Im just not sure if this HG failure might not lead to the same bearing issue you had.

I think i avoided any warpage...

Sad part is, the car is real nice otherwise Limited Edition and all...and what a performer in the snow and rain!

Guess im still a Subie guy

'79, '82, '84, '89,

'97 OB Limited (for sale)

I think i avoided any warpage...

Sad part is, the car is real nice otherwise Limited Edition and all...and what a performer in the snow and rain!

Guess im still a Subie guy

'79, '82, '84, '89,

'97 OB Limited (for sale)

Then just replace the HG and go.

If the car is nice then $1200 is not that bad of a repair imo.

Or get a engine from http://www.ccrengines.com/

Thanks for the quick reply, and yes Commuter your original post was VERY informative, my episode seems to mirror yours almost exactly. Im just not sure if this HG failure might not lead to the same bearing issue you had.
As I stated, I honestly believe the 2 were totally unrelated, except for them happening at the same time. Conrod bearing failures are rare in this engine to the best of my knowledge. If you really like the car and plan to keep it, the safest bet would probably be a rebuilt engine from CCR Inc.

Commuter

since you say the car is still nice. At least it would get the heads checked for flatness and while they were out the valves adjusted which is due. This car looks like the most miserable car to adjust valves in I have ever seen. It would be pretty easy with the heads on the bench.With the new gaskets I would think you'd be fine for the remaining engine life.

The other possiblity would be a whole new CCR engine with new clutch, hoses, belts, etc.

This would be expensive but would be a really solid power plant.