Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problem with gear shift/transmission 1986 GL

Hello!

I have a "small" problem with my Subaru 1986 GL (for clarification since I'm from Germany: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/Literature/brochures/1986-g.jpg )

I had to change the clutch and for that the transmission must be removed.

Now, the clutch works just fine, but there is a problem with the transmission now: During driving (all the same whether gas is given or the car only rolls) there are very loud sharpening/scratching noises.

If the car is accelerated or drives uphill, the noises is nearly away, but as soon as it pushes or is it only rolls, the noises are very loud. In addition the second gerar often won't works: The lever goes into the position however the transmission is in the no-load operation. In 30% of all attempts the gear works.

I assume that the problems is related to the gear shift and/or the connection of the shift lever to the transmission. Can someone confirm that or has a better idea? Thank you!!

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english, I'am from Germany and english is therefore not my mother tongue!

Your English is very good, but others who are experts may post here to ask more questions. Zum beispiel, when you say "no load", do you mean neutral?

Thanks! Yes, I mean "neutral"

@MorganM

I did the clutch replacement on myself!

BUT: I have solved the problem today!!

We had trouble with the lower connection of the gear switch to the transmission (to reconnect it when the transmission was reinsert) and in some way the gear switch was put under its holding plate and was therefore locked between this plate and the cardan shaft!!

And when the car was driven, the cardan shaft was rubed against the gear switch! This made that anoying sounds!!

So now, I have repaired everything and it works fine now!

Thanks for your answers!!