Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! dying and hardstarting, now, no start.

I got this car in a trade its a 1987 XT 1.8 MPFI turbo, and its white (the color is very important in diagnostc troubleshooting)

Every time i stated it, it smelled like fuel in the cab and under the hood.

The car would buck,like the clutch would disengage then engage hard, very little only like 4 times(probably engine miss or stall). then my throttle was sticking, but most havock was casuse completly by random hot or cold,when i would decelerate, the check engine light would flicker and the car would die, and be next to impossable to start again,so about 5 days go by of that, then it started this morning, about 25f degree's, started right up, i let it warm up to one bar on my heat gauge, and went to back out, when i let my foot off the accelerator, it stalled and i havent been able to start it since.

When i first got the car I begain,with an oil change and filter,5-w30 synblend techron, and fram filter, then a set of OEM spark plugs.

I had accidentally overfilled about 3/4 of a quart, and drained it after driving it for two days (about 2hours run time) now its right on.

I changed the PVC valve, and airfilter.

I swapped the bags out for coil suspension and pulled the compressor fuse.

Tests so far with a snap-on MT2500, showed no codes.

Fuel pressure was spiked i used a small gauge b/c the book says 2.2 to 3.8 psi, and it spiked it past 10psi. So maybe the Fuel pressure regulator? But thats strait from the pump, to the gauge. not T'ed into the system.

i bypassed the fuel filter to make sure it wasent clogged.

I used an elec. injector testor and all my injectors are still at peak performance, and the noid lights where all active during cranking.

Spark to the plugs is wierd, For the first 2-5 revolutions of the motor they all fire fine, then the engine sputters, boost maxes out and then still wont start, doesnt actually even technically start, just sputters like its out of time.

then no spark, for about 30 minutes of letting it sit. so i tracked the no spark, back through the primary side of the ignition and figure it was the coil, so i was happy and installed a new one, and nothin'. So i think its my CKP or fuel pressure regulator.

Could i have jumped time with a belt?

any thoughts or similar experiences. This is my first subaru, any help is well appriciated.

You might have better luck on the board that's specific to XT/XT6 http://xt6.net/forum/

I think you might have a defective fuel pump. My XT/XT6 service manual, on page 3 of section 2-6, gives the following specifications. There's no difference between the XT and XT6:

discharge pressure: 61-71 psi

discharge flow: 25.1 US gal/hr at 43.4 psi with 12 volts input at pump

You measure the discharge pressure directly at the pump, before the pressure regulator.